• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick child and flying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texgirl

What is the name of your state? TX

My daughter is to fly to visit her dad for spring break today. Yesterday, she wasn't feeling great but no fever. This morning, however, it is 102. I've called her dad to discuss this situation and left a message, but no response, and we have to leave for the airport in a couple of hours. In this situation, should I dose her with Tylenol and get her on the plane? Keep her home? Take her to dr. to document illness?

MrsK

My daughter is to fly to visit her dad for spring break today. Yesterday, she wasn't feeling great but no fever. This morning, however, it is 102. I've called her dad to discuss this situation and left a message, but no response, and we have to leave for the airport in a couple of hours. In this situation, should I dose her with Tylenol and get her on the plane? Keep her home? Take her to dr. to document illness?
If its just a fever, I'd dose her and send her. Or you might bring her to a walk-in place. Ask dad to take her somewhere to be seen when she gets to him.

Just Blue

How old is your daughter?

texgirl

Thanks. This situation arose once before, and I put her on the plane. It turned out she had strep throat and ex threatened to file neglect charges, although he didn't follow through. Today, she's not vomiting, no cough or sore throat, just the fever, fatigure, and generally feeling lousy.

LdiJ

I would take her to the doctor to make sure that there is no sinus or ear infections going on. I have had several friends who have not been allowed to board a plane when they were sick with sinus or ear infections. It has to do with the air pressure and the possibility of rupturing eardrums etc.

One guy had to rent a car and drive over 1000 miles, sick, to get home.

texgirl

Well, I got the phone call I've been dreading--ex ranting and raving about what a terrible mom I am. After a dose of advil, daughter was up and watching tv, ate a big lunch, and said she felt ok. Of course, by the time she got off the plane, she was tired and her fever was back. Now, I am wondering, did I do the wrong thing? I spoke with her teacher to get homework and was told that a virus is making the rounds.

Of course if I hadn't sent her, ex would be ranting about that!

CJane

Well, I got the phone call I've been dreading--ex ranting and raving about what a terrible mom I am.
You're not a terrible mom. Kids get sick, and usually when it's least convenient. My ex would be PISSED if he knew that when our 10 year old was running a fever and having sinus issues yesterday, I dosed her and sent her to sleep on the baby sitter's couch because I'm out of PTO... but as parents, we do what we have to do. You HAVE to send your daughter. And now... your ex HAS to deal with it.

texgirl

Thanks for the support. I e-mailed him last night and this morning and left phone messages at his home and office saying she wasn't feeling well. Who knows where he was! Legally, I am obligated to get her on the plane, right?

CJane

Thanks for the support. I e-mailed him last night and this morning and left phone messages at his home and office saying she wasn't feeling well. Who knows where he was! Legally, I am obligated to get her on the plane, right?
Yes, you're obligated to send her. She'd have to be SERIOUSLY ill to get away with not sending her.

I know it sucks... but sometimes, we have to just deal with it. I occasionally have to tell my 10 year old to suck it up and go to school and do her best to get through the day. Just like I occasionally have to tell myself that as I head off to work. It's life. She'll survive and you'll bury the guilt. ;)

texgirl

Well, I got another enraged e-mail from ex saying that our daughter tested positive for influenza A/B (the test can't distinguish between the two) and stating he may not be able to send her back on the 25th when spring break ends. I told him I thought it was very premature to be worrying that since 10 days is a pretty long time for recovery unless there are complications--and healthy kids recover quickly. I went over the sequence of events again--that she was fine Monday, feeling poorly on Tuesday afternoon but no fever, had a fever but felt well after advil. I also said that if a doctor says she can't travel, of course, she will have to stay until she can, but barring that, he should plan on sending her home on schedule. Is he over-reacting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">