• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed a lease and moved out shortly after

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grooseland

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee, moved to NY

I signed a 1 year lease in Knoxville, and unfortunately had to move to New York after leaving my job (it was a mutual departure, however I technically resigned and wasn't terminated). Upon doing so, I have made efforts to actively search for a new tenant to sublease my apartment. The other tenant at the house I am leasing says that she has been searching, too. Unfortunately, since moving back to New York, I have been unable to show the house myself to potential tenants. I feel that the landlord has not made reasonable accommodations to also search for someone to take over the lease. She has not to my knowledge listed the house on Craigslist (where I originally found it), and she also has not expressed any interest in showing the property to potential tenants herself. Recently, a tenant has expressed interest in seeing the property, and set up times on multiple occasions to see the house with my roommate, only to be told on each occasion that "something came up." Since I appear to be the only person involved who is providing reasonable accommodations to finding a new tenant, is it possible that the other involved parties' disinterest in finding a new tenant could grant me a way out of the lease? I read that a landlord is required by Tenn. Code Ann. § 66-28-507 (c) to reasonably search for new tenants, which I feel she has not done in the 2 months since I left the apartment (she told me via email that she "asked a couple of people," but hasn't gone as far as to advertise the property). I am hoping that there is a way to relieve myself of financial obligations pertaining to this lease, since I have made more than a reasonable effort to end this problem in a way that is satisfactory to all parties. I feel that I am being abused by the situation (since I now live 800 miles away from the property) and am hoping that I can find a way out of this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee, moved to NY

I signed a 1 year lease in Knoxville, and unfortunately had to move to New York after leaving my job (it was a mutual departure, however I technically resigned and wasn't terminated). Upon doing so, I have made efforts to actively search for a new tenant to sublease my apartment. The other tenant at the house I am leasing says that she has been searching, too. Unfortunately, since moving back to New York, I have been unable to show the house myself to potential tenants. I feel that the landlord has not made reasonable accommodations to also search for someone to take over the lease. She has not to my knowledge listed the house on Craigslist (where I originally found it), and she also has not expressed any interest in showing the property to potential tenants herself. Recently, a tenant has expressed interest in seeing the property, and set up times on multiple occasions to see the house with my roommate, only to be told on each occasion that "something came up." Since I appear to be the only person involved who is providing reasonable accommodations to finding a new tenant, is it possible that the other involved parties' disinterest in finding a new tenant could grant me a way out of the lease? I read that a landlord is required by Tenn. Code Ann. § 66-28-507 (c) to reasonably search for new tenants, which I feel she has not done in the 2 months since I left the apartment (she told me via email that she "asked a couple of people," but hasn't gone as far as to advertise the property). I am hoping that there is a way to relieve myself of financial obligations pertaining to this lease, since I have made more than a reasonable effort to end this problem in a way that is satisfactory to all parties. I feel that I am being abused by the situation (since I now live 800 miles away from the property) and am hoping that I can find a way out of this situation.
Are you and the other tenant on the same lease?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, we are both on the same lease.
Have the three of you agreed to terminate the current lease? If not, then the LL has no duty to do anything. The LL still has a valid lease that you are both jointly and severally (look it up) liable for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">