• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed for 12 months of advertising but didn't get the 12 months of advertising

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smutlydog

I agree with Zigner. It sounds as if your “silent partner” had the authority to enter into a contract for the business. The fact that you gave him your credit card supports this. Calling him a “contractor” appears misleading.

I think you were fortunate that the advertising company didn’t hold you to paying the full 12 months.
He is a 1099 contractor

quincy

He actually previously signed a huge contract in my behalf that makes this contract look like chicken feed. With a stroke of luck the other party that signed didn't preform their end of the agreement. That nullified the contract. I lucked out on that one as well. Come early next year this partnership is ending
There obviously has been a miscommunication between you and your partner on the roles you each are to play in the business. I think it probably is smart to end the partnership.

smutlydog

Didn't your mother tell you that it isn't nice to lie? How when as here you frequently initiate a series of them with each progressively more incredible than the last! And worst of all is when discovered no reasonably conscientious person will ever trust your word again.
What would be the point of making a post like this?

LdiJ

What would be the point of making a post like this?

He was trying to make a point, in an admittedly unnecessarily snarky way. When you don't give complete and accurate information up front, you get inaccurate information in response.

Had you told us upfront that he was your partner, you would have received at least slightly different answers. However, I think that in this instance you used the term "silent partner" inaccurately as well. A silent partner is someone who invests money in a business, but otherwise is completely uninvolved. That is not the case here since your partner works for the business. In addition, he is not officially a partner because you do not file a partnership tax return and you issue him a 1099 as a contractor. It is even possible that legally you should have treated him as an employee rather than as a contractor or partner.

All of these things factor into the legalities of a situation. Not just for situations like this one, but for lots of other things as well. Next time you might want to run what you want to do by an attorney so that you make sure that you are properly setting things up and handling them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">