• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA (the X is in VA)

i think most of you are aware of my situation but I'll give the basics in case some of you arent:

I got pregnant; Ex and I broke up haven't heard from him since I was two months pregnant...

Well this past Friday I got in touch with him--I'd sent him a picture and a message about his son (yes legally not his kid but I didn't know what else to say) and he messaged back and then called to talk...

His exact words were "what's this sh*t about me having a son--I hope you ain't callin for money cause you ain't gettin sh*t!" .... the more we talked the more he (i thought) started to come around...well he tells me he's dating a girl who has three kids of her own (none of which are his) anyway he told me the next day to stop trying to call him because I was f'ing up his relationship, I said don't you want your son...make a long story short he wants to sign his rights over as soon as we get a blood test...

my question is should I do that or put him on child support...any advice?

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA (the X is in VA)

i think most of you are aware of my situation but I'll give the basics in case some of you arent:

I got pregnant; Ex and I broke up haven't heard from him since I was two months pregnant...

Well this past Friday I got in touch with him--I'd sent him a picture and a message about his son (yes legally not his kid but I didn't know what else to say) and he messaged back and then called to talk...

His exact words were "what's this sh*t about me having a son--I hope you ain't callin for money cause you ain't gettin sh*t!" .... the more we talked the more he (i thought) started to come around...well he tells me he's dating a girl who has three kids of her own (none of which are his) anyway he told me the next day to stop trying to call him because I was f'ing up his relationship, I said don't you want your son...make a long story short he wants to sign his rights over as soon as we get a blood test...

my question is should I do that or put him on child support...any advice?
If you want support - file for it. He can't stop that. You will get support if it is his son.

He can also then file for visitation. If he wants it.

Stop calling him. Don't force a child on him that he doesn't want. Either file for suppor through the state, or leave him alone and raise your son in a healthy manner.

Bloopy

Do not contact him again.

File to legally establish him as the father and for CS. He doesn't have to ever have contact with you and Son, but he will have to pay.

He cannot sign his rigts away.

Bloopy

If you want support - file for it. He can't stop that. You will get support if it is his son.

He can also then file for visitation. If he wants it.

Stop calling him. Don't force a child on him that he doesn't want. Either file for suppor through the state, or leave him alone and raise your son in a healthy manner.
You're a fast one grasshopper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">