• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single Father and CP, Son kidnapped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrdetermined

I live in Tacoma Washington.
I called upon my sister and her husband living in Utah to temporarily care for and home school my 15-year old son. They accepted this responsibility in January 2009 until June 24, 2009. During this period there were disputes between them and myself regarding the physically and emotionally abusive disciplinary actions taken in response to my son’s behavior while in the home. In Mid July the abuse became more than my son could handle and he ran away from the home following the taking of his game station and games and giving them away to my sisters husbands young nephews. On July 24, 2009, in response to my son running away from their home, and for my chastising their methods of disciplining my son, negligently and illegally, without my knowledge or consent, placed my son on a Greyhound bus and sent him to Spokane Washington to his absent mother of 8-years, all along knowing I have sole parental custody, and that such relinquishment to the mother could cause permanent harm to my son. My sister and husband were also aware that the mother had just been released from a 5-year prison sentence just seven-month prior, and who had also been rushed to the hospital for a drug overdose just two month prior to sending him there.
I have called police in Utah, Spokane, and here where I live, I also called the FBI in Seattle, but none of these law enforcement agencies will help me retreave my son. I have had custody since June of 2001.
Questions:
Isn't this kidknapping, or parental interference in the least? Is there another authority I can take this too who will help me get my son back?

ashlybabybear

What is their reason for not retrieving your son? Contact a lawyer where your son resides and maybe try their state police and local state representitive. With all the exposure going on with kidnapping lately i can't believe that the FBI wouldn't help. Also maybe the center for missing and exploited children would be able to give you some input. GOOD LUCK

CdwJava

I agree. Bring your paperwork, drive to where your son is, and have the police stand by while you take custody of your son. He has not been kidnapped. And since you voluntarily relinquished control and custody to your relatives, you granted them a good deal of leeway in how to handle things. So, unless bio-mom has a court order preventing her from having contact with the child, it will be up to you to enforce the custody order.

You may want to call ahead and find out if your court orders need to be affirmed by the local courts before they can be enforced. Depending on the order that you say grants you sole physical custody it may or may not have to be locally endorsed (confirmed) before local law enforcement will act on it.

- Carl

Ronin

So you left your son in your sisters custody for seven months, you state you had full knowlege during that time of ongoing issues with their allegedly abusive behavior toward him, you allowed this to continue, and he has now been with his mother since July 24 (three months).

All of a sudden you are now trying to rally the troops to get him back, and wondering why you are getting little support :eek:?

There does not appear to be any issues of kidnapping or parental interference as you suggest, but more an issue of parental neglect on your part. It is inconceivable that any responsible parent would let a situation such as this with their child drag on this long.

The fact that mom was in prison does not necessarily make her an unfit parent, and if push came to shove in court, your fitness as a parent would surely be questioned over what happened here.

Isis1

i'm thinking everyone is missing the point here. OP doesn't want to go get child. he wants the authorities to go do it. :eek:

CdwJava

But, I wager the authorities get it and that's why they are not leaping to his aide in this.

- Carl

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Seriously the child doesn't need to go back to a parent who would allow him to be abused physically and emotionally for seven months and who refuses to retrieve him from Washington. If the child were forcibly removed by dad, I could see the authorities being called and arresting dad for his conduct or lack thereof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">