• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sis (POA) using dads money for herself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga. my sister is my our fathers POA and she has been using his retirement and SS money to pay her bills. he has one bill per month (life insurance), but doesn't have a penny to his name. I know that it is illegal (per se) but is there something that i can do short of threatening to send her to jail, to stop it. he is now in need of going into a nursing home and has nothing. he has a piece of property that his brother left him and she is wanting to sell it to pay her bills also. my brother and i want to take POA from her but i don't think my father would "qualify" as being competent enough to give it to me. what should i do???

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga. my sister is my our fathers POA and she has been using his retirement and SS money to pay her bills. he has one bill per month (life insurance), but doesn't have a penny to his name. I know that it is illegal (per se) but is there something that i can do short of threatening to send her to jail, to stop it. he is now in need of going into a nursing home and has nothing. he has a piece of property that his brother left him and she is wanting to sell it to pay her bills also. my brother and i want to take POA from her but i don't think my father would "qualify" as being competent enough to give it to me. what should i do???
She is taking financial advantage of a vulnerable adult. Report it to Adult Protective Services. (Social Services, DCF, DHS, whatever it might be called in your area.)

another question too, i know that his medicare and SS will be used for the cost of the nursing home (if he has to go) but what about his retirement money???

CSO286

another question too, i know that his medicare and SS will be used for the cost of the nursing home (if he has to go) but what about his retirement money???
It will be used first. His assets will be spent before the state steps in to cover the cost of care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">