• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SLANDER/DEFAMATION in a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gowdy112

My wife and I own a large childcare center in N.D. We are in the process of selling the business. The problem we are having is that two of our employees who "know someone who knows" the new owner. They are telling people that she will not do a good job and that they should take their children elsewhere. After losing 11 children in one department, it was pretty obvious that something was going on and we confronted these employees. They deny any wrondoing. After speaking to one of the parents, she admitted that yes- she was told by one of these employees to find care elsewhere.

Where do we stand? Can we, or the new owner sue for slander. It has and will obviously cause a financial loss to the business. IT is also likely that as word of mouth travels, we will probably lose more children.

Both employees have resigned -but the damage is done. I want to do what will cause the least publicity, not cost me a fortune in litigation, and do the most damage control. Can we force these employees to contact these parents and do retractions? (not that that would do much good). Or should we simply pursue litigation? :confused:

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gowdy

M

mreman

I guess I don't see what you are asking. You SOLD the buisness to SOMEONE ELSE. What do you care if it loses buisness? It is up to the new owner to decide if she wants to take action, you no longer have a legal standing since you no longer own the buisness.

G

Gowdy112

Re: Ownership

Sorry- apparently didn't make that clear. We are in the process of selling. The new owner takes over next week. I am concerned that they may try and back out on the deal because of lost clients - and I am also concerned about the financial future of the business because the new owners will be paying us in installments.

Gowdy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">