• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander Submitted to a Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Is small claims court an option? I am concerned about all this being on my record and harming my image.
Michigan small claims courts do not hear defamation claims, and in California there is a limit on the dollar amounts of a claim. Reputations tend to be more valuable than these dollar limits - and if the injury to one’s reputation is small, a legal action is generally not worth pursuing.

Razzbo

quincy, you are right that it is not common to prosecute perjures. I read that online some time ago. I just want to know what my legal options are. I never met the legal definition of harassment, and there is absolutely no evidence that I did. How can I get this harassment order revoked and removed from my record? I want legal justice against those who slandered me. Can I sue the court for accepting hearsay testimony without a shred of evidence?

Razzbo

Michigan small claims courts do not hear defamation claims, and in California there is a limit on the dollar amounts of a claim. Reputations tend to be more valuable than these dollar limits - and if the injury to one’s reputation is small, a legal action is generally not worth pursuing.
Did I say Michigan? It's actually Massachusetts. Thanks for the help. I showed know more tomorrow when I talk to my lawyer.

quincy

Did I say Michigan? It's actually Massachusetts. Thanks for the help. I showed know more tomorrow when I talk to my lawyer.
Michigan, Massachusetts and California all have different defamation laws and the states all have different harassment laws. It is good that you will be speaking with your lawyer as s/he has access to all of the facts and can better guide you and advise you on your legal options.

You cannot sue the court.

There is generally a six-month to one-year time for harassment orders. If the order is not extended, it should expire at that time.

Good luck.

Razzbo

Sorry for any apparent hostility. This is very frustrating. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I read the court affidavit and all the lies asserted against me, and the fact that the court allowed this. I didn't get any sleep last night because of this.

quincy

Sorry for any apparent hostility. This is very frustrating. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I read the court affidavit and all the lies asserted against me, and the fact that the court allowed this. I didn't get any sleep last night because of this.
I am sure this has been difficult for you.

Razzbo

Another thing this court did was state the expiration date for the harassment order in twelve days, but the docket I requested yesterday shows that the expiration date was scratched out with a pen, and a new date was scribbled in with a pen. No one notified me about this. The new date shows an expiration date of almost two years from now. Why didn't anyone notify me about this? Why was the original date scribbled out? Had I not contacted the court yesterday requesting the docket, I wouldn't have known about the new date of expiration.

Just Blue

Another thing this court did was state the expiration date for the harassment order in twelve days, but the docket I requested yesterday shows that the expiration date was scratched out with a pen, and a new date was scribbled in with a pen. No one notified me about this. The new date shows an expiration date of almost two years from now. Why didn't anyone notify me about this? Why was the original date scribbled out? Had I not contacted the court yesterday requesting the docket, I wouldn't have known about the new date of expiration.
Ask your attorney.

quincy

These are really good questions for your attorney. A two-year order would be unusual.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP is located in California, but the order isn't out of California - it's out of Massachusetts (see post #18).

quincy

The OP is located in California, but the order isn't out of California - it's out of Massachusetts (see post #18).
Ah. I overlooked that.

Whatever the victim of the harassment told the court about Razzbo, it had to be serious enough that an out-of-state order was granted.

Razzbo should cease any and all contact with the person and not be lured into any contact by the person (or the person’s friends). Because Razzbo has had trouble with defamers online before, limiting or eliminating the use of social media probably would be smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">