• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justwanttoknow

I was falsely accused of a crime publically by the Manager of a restaurant. The manager called the Police and after all parties were questioned, I was charged with disorderly conduct. (a far lesser charge than I originally accused of) I fought the disorderly conduct charge in court and received a not guilty verdict without going to trial. Can I sue the Manager of the restaurant for defamation of character to recover my legal expenses? I obtained a copy of the Police report and in it the Manager claims someone else made the original accusations and left before the Police arrived. The Manager called the police and told them the false story though. Does this protect the manager from a defamation of character suit?

JETX

If the manager made the erroneous statement as if a fact, then they might be liable. However, if they manager says something like "I didn't see the incident, but I was told that ....... ", then they are probably not liable.

I would assume that the police would not have initiated an arrest based purely on 'hearsay' of a non-witness, so have to believe that there is more to this than we are being told.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">