• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slandered by former Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ringobjingo

What is the name of your state? Florida

I used to work for a racehorse owner. I did everything from mucking stalls to training, riding and shoeing his horses. We parted company on bad terms in February. I was trying to get the horses to the track to work, and after suffering several set backs, I finally managed to get to the track! However, created rather a scene at the track, did some yelling and screaming and finally he left his two racehorses in the care of two other trainers. But he did not fire me at this point. I worked another week or two for him, caring for his other horses at the farm.
Once his mare gave birth to a foal, he first came to the barn to see her a week later. The mare and foal were doing fine, but he wanted to do a very very silly thing of putting them out in a field with no secure fencing and generally not a safe environment for a week old foal. The foal was scared and started back towards the barn, meanwhile the mother of the foal was going mad, as he held her away from her baby. Noneltheless, I tried to advise him not to move them just yet. He started yelling at me and my wife who was there helping, and was very verbally abusive towards us both. That is when we parted company. He told me he didn't want me around anymore. So I left.
About ten days after, A neighbor told me that one horse the owner had sent to the track had broken down, and that he was blaming me for it! I had not even seen the horse since the day at the track. I know that he was stating this to him, and even when I went to receive my final pay check, he told me to my face!! I also know of other people he has told this to. Later on, about two months after I left, I was already at another job a couple hundred miles away. I heard from a friend of mine who was also in contact with him, told me that the other horse he had sent to another trainer had died. Then a short while after that, I received an email from a friend of my ex-employer, of one of my business cards, defaced in pen to red "horse killer" and "drunk". I do not know if any of these cards were distributed anywhere. Theres a chance they could have been, since I left one or two on a bulletin board in the town he lives in.
ALSO, in regards to the foal, about a week after I had left, apparently she was injured - I heard that the mother who was blind in one eye, stepped on her and broke her hip or something like that, but the owner was then trying to say that was my fault!!! I think his excuse amounted to "I was not there in the middle of the night when the foal was born, and therefore she was suseptible to infection". Some of his comments are ridiculous and sound like he's desperate to find a way to blame me for his horses dying or being injured, but that is all lies. And I know of people that I would beable to get testimoies from or even subpoena to court if it came to that. I had almost let it go, until I received the email from his friend with the defaced business card. This I cannot accept. In the equine business a good reputation is a must! Now he's spreading lies about me, and I am potentially losing work.

think I have a case?!What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now he's spreading lies about me, and I am potentially losing work.

think I have a case?!
I think you really don't have a case for two reasons. First, he is spreading his opinion. Second, you have no proof that you have lost any business.

Ringobjingo

I am not trying to sue for loss of income, unless I do gain proof of that. However, he owes me wages, that amount to $2500 and I've also had a lot of stress over this (and I know my wife will vouch for that! I must have driven her mad!) But in the horse business, a good reputation is a MUST! You cannot expect to get any work, if people start hearing that you've killed someones horses. That was not his OPINION, Its just plain fiction. He made it up. Wouldn't you think the man who's care the horse was in when she died, would have had more part in her death than someone who had not seen her for over two months and lived 200 miles away?!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">