• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims against a hotel outside of my county

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

85percent

Hi, I currently live in Chino Hills, California.. I recently had a parking incident involving my car at a hotel in San Diego (about two hours away), and the hotel was at fault, but now denying liability. I am now going to file in small claims court against the hotel. I have read and tried to do research about the steps, but please tell me if my understanding to the steps are correct:

1. I am going to print and fill out form SC-100
2. File this form in small claims court and pay the filing fee (do I need to do this in MY county? or the county of the hotel I am suing?)
3. Hire someone in San Diego (where the hotel is) to serve the hotel these papers (form Sc-100)
4. I then wait for the court to respond to me with a date?

Does that sound correct?

thanks, first time suing obviously.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't have to hire someone from SD county. Heck, you don't even have to hire anybody to do the service. It can be done by any adult who is not a party to the lawsuit. For example, you could have a friend serve the suit.

Dave1952

Usually, on the Sec. Of State's web-site is a list of all of the companies that do business in your State That listing should should include the hotel's agent for service. You serve that person or law office.

FlyingRon

As you were told elsewhere, you need to find out who the proper person to serve is. If you are suing a corporation that has a registered agent, you need to serve the registered agent. Otherwise you can serve someone of responsibility at the business.

You need to serve the "court stamped" version of the SC-100 which will have the trial date. You've been told that.

You haven't a prayer of prevailing in court by the way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">