• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubyrhea

What is the name of your state? Colorado
Ok. So 88 days after my move out date, and 7 days after the receipt of my demand letter, Landlord followed up with a collections notice for more than our deposit and no photos or receipts of charges/damages.
So my question is, do I send another demand letter stating that we will go to Small Claims or do I just file my claim? or both?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

File and expect a counter claim for the amount they claim you owe. They can show receipts, photos and have workmen in court to prove their case.

rubyrhea

Understood, but it's 88 days after the fact and 28 days after his 60 day window. I'm not worried that I'll lose, but am just wondering about next steps.
So I should not worry about sending him an intent to file, but just file the claim?

rubyrhea

Included the 7 days notice in demand letter I sent last week was my first attempt to give an attempt to file a claim. He followed with a collections notice to me for damages. So I'll file a claim.
Thanks for all of your help. This has totally put my mind at ease!

Last edited:

rubyrhea

Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens. But I have one more question:
Do you think there is anyway, assuming I do win, that LL can come back and sue me for damages?

Did you leave a valid forwarding address?

If I understand your post, you received a collection notice which is typically the step following the accounting of the security deposit. I would ask the landlord for proof that an accounting was done in the proper time frame prior to filing a suit.

rubyrhea

He only sent me the collections notice after I sent the demand letter. There were no receipts or pictures of his claim (which I received 88 days after we moved out) and the property in question was sold prior to him making these allegations. I have a feeling that he'll try to sue later for damages to property value.

ecmst12

He can counter sue once you file, but once the suit is settled (whether he counter sues or not), I don't believe he can bring any further action for the same situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">