• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small record label

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJenkins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I recently started a record label to put out my own music. This just entailed a name and a PO Box with no forms filed or anything that I put on the cds when I distributed them to local fans.

As the music is gaining fans/plays/etc, we are considering into making it a legit company in order to provide services to other bands.

I have looked into DBA versus LLC. We do not have any real assets and the only employees would be the 3 founding members, plus we also receive a lot of help with promotions, graphic arts, etc from fans who donate their services.

We have been trying to lean away from LLC cause from what I understand, you must put that at the end of your business and recordlabel1, LLC looks kinda funny.

What other options can we look into, or would DBA be the best option?

DStaub

There are pros and cons to using an LLC, but I don't think that attaching the letters "LLC" to the end of the name is a very compelling reason not to use an LLC.

First of all, LLCs can use a DBA just as an individual can or any other type of business can in Ohio. Just file Form 534A with the Ohio Secretary of State. You can see the form on the Secretary of State's website here:
http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/Upload/business/forms/534a.pdf

For more information on advantages of LLCs, you can read:
LLC Advantages :: Limited Liability Company Center

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">