• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking Question on Employment Application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The MA ruling still does not require that smokers be allowed to smoke on work premises. It only addresses off-site, off-hours smoking.

BTW, I do agree with the others that it would benefit both employer and employee to allow breaks even when not required by law. I am not talking about allowing smokers extra breaks - that is counter productive. But a half hour lunch and a couple of ten minute breaks are good for the employee and will probably improve productivity for the employer.

So if people sneak off to smoke in violation of policy, fire 'em. That's legal in every state too. Just provide a notice; as of July 1, there will be no smoking of any kind on the work premises. Violations will be dealt with as appropriate up to and including termination. Then follow it. Don't even start if you're not going to follow through. You won't have to fire more than one or two. And no, I'm not kidding.

Then take another group. Give them a 1/2 hour lunch and a 10 min break in the morn and one in the afternoon and work them a 10 hour day (10 1/2 hours at work due to the unpaid lunch)
We don't have them work "straight through" they take an hour of unpaid lunch each day. We not not see higher productivity in California where they are required and receive a morning and afternoon 10 minute break over states where we operate where no mandatory break periods are required and they're not provided.

So if people sneak off to smoke in violation of policy, fire 'em. That's legal in every state too. Just provide a notice; as of July 1, there will be no smoking of any kind on the work premises. Violations will be dealt with as appropriate up to and including termination. Then follow it. Don't even start if you're not going to follow through. You won't have to fire more than one or two. And no, I'm not kidding.
We do this already. Taking unauthorized break periods is already a violation of our company handbook and have termed employees caught violating the policy by smoking. The problem is when they're away from their desk and management can't locate them, they return and were "in the bathroom." It's a shame you have to pay for employees to use the bathroom, a crying shame.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's a shame you have to pay for employees to use the bathroom, a crying shame.

Please tell me you are not seriously suggesting that bathroom breaks should be unpaid.

justalayman

We don't have them work "straight through" they take an hour of unpaid lunch each day. We not not see higher productivity in California where they are required and receive a morning and afternoon 10 minute break over states where we operate where no mandatory break periods are required and they're not provided.
and your point? You claimed that breaks were the cause of a loss of productivity. Lunches are breaks too.

as to your claimed lack of productivity due to breaks: If I cared to bother, I could show you proof but I don't care to bother. Keep reading wino. The truth is out there.

It's a shame you have to pay for employees to use the bathroom, a crying shame.

Please tell me you are not seriously suggesting that bathroom breaks should be unpaid.
Employees should only be paid for the time they spend working on the tasks you assign them. Too many times a bathroom break is actually a cell phone break, a walk the stairs or a lap around the building break. I'm sure employees wouldn't spend nearly as much time in the bathroom every day if they weren't getting paid while they were in there.

ecmst12

If an employee needs to step away from their desk for 5 minutes, whether it's to pee, make a phone call, or take a lap around the building, you need to let them. When they get back, they will be more focused and better able to complete their tasks. Employers who want to micromanage every minute spent on the clock are MISERABLE to work for and make for employees that do the absolute minimum they have to in order to get a paycheck. Treat your employees like adults and they will act like adults.

yes

I smoke often times. Especially when I'm so depress. Before, I don't like smoking but when I have no one to talk to I learned that it's my way of relaxing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Employees should only be paid for the time they spend working on the tasks you assign them. Too many times a bathroom break is actually a cell phone break, a walk the stairs or a lap around the building break. I'm sure employees wouldn't spend nearly as much time in the bathroom every day if they weren't getting paid while they were in there.
I am SO glad I don't work for you. What an utterly miserable human being you are.

Tell me, do you refuse pay for any moment of any day that you need a bathroom break, or anything else of the kind? Or are you so superior a human being that you never need them? Perhaps you're a Camel? (and I don't mean the cigarette).

justalayman

I am SO glad I don't work for you. What an utterly miserable human being you are.

Tell me, do you refuse pay for any moment of any day that you need a bathroom break, or anything else of the kind? Or are you so superior a human being that you never need them? Perhaps you're a Camel? (and I don't mean the cigarette).
hey, as long as wino is willing to empty the bucket, I got no problem with no pee breaks.

Oh piss boy....

wait for the shake!!!!!

(for those that don't get it: Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">