• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

social security disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad20102

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I know there is a form of social security payments that if the parent is receiving, their minor children can receive. Which social security payment is that?

The cp told me that she is on social security disability for an anterior cervical fusion surgery she had 2 years ago. (Whole nother issue but I have known 3 people who had this surgery and every one of them was back to work within 3-6 weeks. But I know, everyone is different.)

Anyways could/would the child be receiving any benefits if her cp mother is on social security disability? If so how does that figure into child support calculations?

Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I know there is a form of social security payments that if the parent is receiving, their minor children can receive. Which social security payment is that?

The cp told me that she is on social security disability for an anterior cervical fusion surgery she had 2 years ago. (Whole nother issue but I have known 3 people who had this surgery and every one of them was back to work within 3-6 weeks. But I know, everyone is different.)

Anyways could/would the child be receiving any benefits if her cp mother is on social security disability? If so how does that figure into child support calculations?

Thanks!
In this instance it would not figure into the calculations at all, except perhaps as income to mom.

If YOU were the one on SSDI then the child's benefit would be paid to mom, since she is apparently the custodial parent and would normally replace your child support. However, when its the cp who is receiving it, it goes towards her share of the children's support.

Social Security Disability Insurance = SSDI = extra benefits for children
Supplemental Security Income = SSI = no extra benefits for children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">