• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randoggi

California. I am appealing a decision by Social Security that says that I owe them about $13,000 in overpayments. They have been deducting $75 a month for over a year now and it has not even gone to court, yet. Is that legal?

I claimed that I was informed on 2 different occasions in May of 2005 by two different Social Security Representatives that Social Security looks at your average monthly earnings when calculating if you are over or under the guidelines limits. My average monthly earnings were under according to this guideline. Secondly, I am claiming that I had IRWE's or Impairment Related Work Expenes that caused my gross monthly income to go down under guideline limits. I have the cancelled checks and a presentation binder with all the numbers, dates, earnings, etc. for the Judge.

Am I on the right track and do I have a legitimate case that can be won. Or, the overpayment at least significantly reduced.

RandyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

California. I am appealing a decision by Social Security that says that I owe them about $13,000 in overpayments. They have been deducting $75 a month for over a year now and it has not even gone to court, yet. Is that legal?

I claimed that I was informed on 2 different occasions in May of 2005 by two different Social Security Representatives that Social Security looks at your average monthly earnings when calculating if you are over or under the guidelines limits. My average monthly earnings were under according to this guideline. Secondly, I am claiming that I had IRWE's or Impairment Related Work Expenes that caused my gross monthly income to go down under guideline limits. I have the cancelled checks and a presentation binder with all the numbers, dates, earnings, etc. for the Judge.

Am I on the right track and do I have a legitimate case that can be won. Or, the overpayment at least significantly reduced.

RandyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
When you were sent a notice of the overpayment ,you had a certain amount of time to appeal.

If your recent history since 2005 reflects you were over , but you have proof , take everything you have to your nearest SSA Office to dispute .

You can try to say you weren't noticed way back when ,but why would you wait years and let them take $75 per month for months without going down to the Office with your proofs ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">