• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Forest Hill

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Louisiana

Received my January edition of Aarp magazine and read an article where a person on Social Security disability will now have his check decreased by 15% to repay a student loan. I had always read where Social Security could not be used (on demand) to pay off loans????
Said a law had been passed in 1996 regarding pay back of student loans ( when a person is on social security) !!!???

bigun

I had always read where Social Security could not be used (on demand) to pay off loans????

Student loans are an exception.

zippysgoddess

bigun is correct, they always could garnish SS payments for student loans, the difference is that it used to be only 10% and is now 15%.

Any government debt can result in garnishment of SS funds.

Although, if a person is on SSI or SSD because of a total disability, then they should file the permanent disability discharge papers to get rid of the student loan debt altogether.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">