• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a Motorcycle and now the person is not paying.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cterie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I sold a motorcycle to someone for $7,000. I created a contract and he and I both signed it. He agreed to pay $200 a month until the bike was paid off. He paid every month until about 6 months ago. He was first late and making excuses, then said he was having family issues. After a few months of this going on he quit his full time and part time job and moved to Colorado (where he is from). He will not answer any of my text messages. I even tried Facebook messages in case his phone got shut off. I do not know where the bike is and he still owes $5200.

I talked to a lawyer and they basically said for $130 they could send him a letter but it does not guarantee he will pay. For about $1000 they could go to court and get a ruling from a judge in my favor but it would still not guarantee I would get paid. Stating that with him being in Colorado there is no way they can enforce anything and force him to pay.

I called the police and they were no help either. They do not see the bike as stolen but more of a contract dispute.

The second issue is the title is still 100% in my name. I wanted to change the title to the purchaser�s name and put a lean on it but we never did. The police and lawyers were no help with this matter either. I am under the impression that if a crime is committed on the motorcycle while it is in my name, I could get in trouble.

So I have two issues. I would like to get my money and I also need to make sure that the authorities know that this bike is no longer in my possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">