• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold car, car breaks, buyer wants to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoredAtty

The fact that the OP has a comparable Honda vehicle with 280K is another point.

I have many time seen ads that tout volvo's "million mile car" reputation. They are not million mile guarantee.
Comparable Vehicle Point: The car that ran for 280k miles was obviously in different condition, and therefore, was not truly comparable.

Volvo Point: I have a feeling there is a disclaimer associated with any claim that begins with "it will probably run...." Also, touting a reputation is not the same as stating the condition of a particular vehicle.

Again, I do think the OP would likely win a lawsuit. However, for the reasons I posted, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a judge to rule against the OP.

Mikeus

The thing is I spent a good two weeks replacing parts and just generally giving the car a tune-up before I listed it. The car had been completely reliable the entire time I owned it. I don't know how this guy drove the car, he could have driven it into a ditch for all I know and is claiming I sold him a piece of junk. I talked to the buyer yesterday and he said the distrubutor cap needed to be replaced by the mechanic, and then it broke again. How am I supposed to know the mechanic didn't screw something up?

The buyer could have requested a mechanic to look over the car. The buyer could have lifted the hood. He did neither. I sold him a car, confident in its condition as described by me. Is something finally just got old and wore out it just happens to be a bit of bad timing, not malicious intent. He drove it to his house (45 minutes away from me) and then to work the next day. Did he decide to open up the engine on a straightaway to see what his new car could do? Did he finally decide to pop the hood and started pulling on wires? I can't be sure, but I am sure that I stand by my experience and description of the car when it was in my ownership.

Mikeus

Zig, I told them it's no longer my liability and they told me they would see me in court. This guy's brother-in-law knows a friend of mine and told him he thinks he is probably going to sue, so that's more of my time wasted on this mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">