• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole custody sought by Assumed Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSO286

Support was sought by agency for the estranged husband to pay up. He fought it. YES, a husband is assumed to be the legal father. But he fought it and the mother agreed.
When the "agency" was involved, was it because mom was on some kind of public assistance involved?
If so, then mom would have been required to assist the state in locating the legal father.
Explain this. The man who was married to mom signed a husband's statment of non-paternity?
Did mom name the father of the child?

The courts generally don't let a guy off the hook there unless the natural father of child is there also to sign an AOP/ROP. The state really likes children to have a legal father.
Did this occur?

I am searching for answers that back up the very fiber of what I am reading in state statute. Not just what I want to hear.

These two statements are contradictory.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I really do think that the parties involved in the potential case need to be speaking to an attorney, preferibly face to face, because I am honestly totally confused about the situation.

I honestly cannot tell, from your explanations, whether paternity has been established, disestablished, or anything else for the first child, and I am still not certain on the second child either.

An attorney will be able to ask the necessary questions and get immediate responses that will clarify the situation.

kylecov04

When the "agency" was involved, was it because mom was on some kind of public assistance involved?
If so, then mom would have been required to assist the state in locating the legal father.
Explain this. The man who was married to mom signed a husband's statment of non-paternity?
Did mom name the father of the child?

The courts generally don't let a guy off the hook there unless the natural father of child is there also to sign an AOP/ROP. The state really likes children to have a legal father.
Did this occur?
Yes, she was receiving public assistance and also seeking child support. The mother, and the state, let the Husband off. Mother said not his child. Husband's statement of non-paternity signed.

Yes, Mom has named the natural father for "agency", but natural father would not sign any acknowledgement of the child being his. That way he can't have a support order issued and can go on not paying child support.

In answer to the contadictory statement. The law says one thing and it is black and white and not subject to interpretation. Forum posts have indicated that I only read what I want to hear, not their education of how they see it. If you can answer every one of the presumptions of a statute with a no answer, then how can a "yes" be the outcome?

It has been said that the guy has every legal right to do whatever he wants (even to keep kids from contact with mom) because he might be the dad, even in the complete absence of "legal" evidence. Even in light of statement that the child is a "non-joint" child of the relationship he had with mom.

kylecov04

I really do think that the parties involved in the potential case need to be speaking to an attorney, preferibly face to face, because I am honestly totally confused about the situation.

I honestly cannot tell, from your explanations, whether paternity has been established, disestablished, or anything else for the first child, and I am still not certain on the second child either.

An attorney will be able to ask the necessary questions and get immediate responses that will clarify the situation.
Sorry for the confusion.

No, paternity has not been established. Second child: on the birth certificate even though mom still married at time of birth to a different man. Mother not living with Husband at the time of conception or birth of second child. Mother living with boyfriend at that time.

CSO286

Yes, she was receiving public assistance and also seeking child support. The mother, and the state, let the Husband off. Mother said not his child. Husband's statement of non-paternity signed.
The state doesn't pay out cash TANF and then not go after an alleged father for reimbursement. Two exception to this are (1) a valid claim of good cause, meaning that mom has fear for her and/or children's safety if the state pursues support; and, (2) They are all eligible for the TANF together as a family unit. The state would still require that there is a legal father on record for the children.

which is it? and where's the Legal Father?

Yes, Mom has named the natural father for "agency", but natural father would not sign any acknowledgement of the child being his. That way he can't have a support order issued and can go on not paying child support.
It doesn't work that way. The state would not have pursued natural dad for support unless the family unit broke up. And if the parties were not living together you can bet the farm the state would pursue a paternity and support action against any alleged father.

Seriously, go talk to an atty. I'm as confused as LDiJ.

kylecov04

The state doesn't pay out cash TANF and then not go after an alleged father for reimbursement. Two exception to this are (1) a valid claim of good cause, meaning that mom has fear for her and/or children's safety if the state pursues support; and, (2) They are all eligible for the TANF together as a family unit. The state would still require that there is a legal father on record for the children.

I'm confused too now. What is Legal Father? How would that be established to get the title Legal and not just be a person in a relationship who mommy says is daddy?

Just Blue

I'm confused too now. What is Legal Father? How would that be established to get the title Legal and not just be a person in a relationship who mommy says is daddy?
I will take it to an attorney. My cousin is one if fact here in town. In fact I have already had an appointment with him
Ask Cuz**************.:rolleyes:;)

Just Blue

Waiting for an answer back from him. In court today.
Well good! You will understand that the VOLUNTEERS here are more concerned helping members that are ACTUALLY INVOLVED in a CASE and are PRO SE.

So please stop selfishly asking for assistance when you don't really require it.

Night...:)

kylecov04

Well good! You will understand that the VOLUNTEERS here are more concerned helping members that are ACTUALLY INVOLVED in a CASE and are PRO SE.

So please stop selfishly asking for assistance when you don't really require it.

Night...:)
I have a cousin in law and I can ask him questions. But I am actually the one doing the research, preparation and court filings. We are not going into this whole process being represented by an attorney. We are going it alone... pro se.

If I could bring myself to ask my cousin to do it all for us then why would I be here? And at Westlaw, and reading ORS, and every possible citation or factual resource I can find? He has a business and we cannot afford the rates attorneys charge. I am family, but I won't take advantage of family.

Just Blue

I have a cousin in law and I can ask him questions. But I am actually the one doing the research, preparation and court filings. We are not going into this whole process being represented by an attorney. We are going it alone... pro se.

If I could bring myself to ask my cousin to do it all for us then why would I be here? And at Westlaw, and reading ORS, and every possible citation or factual resource I can find? He has a business and we cannot afford the rates attorneys charge. I am family, but I won't take advantage of family.
Would you like me to advise you on WHY "your" case will be tossed? Can you guess?

Anyone? Buller?

:p

kylecov04

Would you like me to advise you on WHY "your" case will be tossed? Can you guess?

Anyone? Buller?

:p
Sure. This ought to be a nice, legally founded opinion. Like stated before, not a bed warmer here. Not trying to take the kids away. But daddy not stepping up to the pump but wants it all and thinks he can have it all... without stepping up to the pump.

Just Blue

Sure. This ought to be a nice, legally founded opinion. Like stated before, not a bed warmer here. Not trying to take the kids away. But daddy not stepping up to the pump but wants it all and thinks he can have it all... without stepping up to the pump.
hint
;)
Are you a licensed attorney?

LdiJ

Ok...let me give this a try.

A legal father is either someone automatically considered to be the father legally, ie the husband of the mother. That sounds like its not the case here (although again, I am not sure because you are not explaining things very clearly).

Or, someone who has signed an AOP (Affidavit of Paternity) and has been placed on the child's birth certificate as a result.

Or, someone who has been declared the father by a court of law, usually after a DNA test.

If someone is paying child support for a child, then one way or another they are the legal father. Either they signed the AOP or a court declared them the father, or both.

If the state attempted to get child support ordered for a particular child, from a particular man, and was challenged by the man and the state failed, that would generally indicate that a DNA test was performed that proved that he was not the ACTUAL father, therefore even if he was originally the legal father, that legal paternity was disestablished.

What is getting increasing clear here is that either you don't know the legal details, which are critical to getting reasonable advice, or that you don't know how to explain the legal details. Which is why everyone is telling you that an attorney is needed.

If you cannot explain it to us in a way that we can clearly understand the situation, then there is no way that you can explain it to a judge either...or in this case, that the parties with legal standing can explain it to a judge, because apparently you do not have legal standing.

Here is all that we really understand at this point:

Mom is in jail.
There are two children.
There is doubt as to who is the father of each child...both legally and biologically.
Someone who thinks he is the father has taken the the children and has filed for custody and the maternal extended family is upset.

One thing however that I CAN tell you is that if the person who has taken the children can prove not only that he is their biological father, but that he also has a relationship with the children and has acted as their father, then he WILL get sole legal and physical custody because mom is in jail. It will be up to mom to attempt to change that once she is released.

In that circumstance the most that the maternal family will be able to obtain is limited visitation, and that's not guaranteed.

Again, this is not something that should even be attempted without an attorney.

kylecov04

Ok...let me give this a try.

A legal father is either someone automatically considered to be the father legally, ie the husband of the mother. That sounds like its not the case here (although again, I am not sure because you are not explaining things very clearly).

Or, someone who has signed an AOP (Affidavit of Paternity) and has been placed on the child's birth certificate as a result.

Or, someone who has been declared the father by a court of law, usually after a DNA test.

If someone is paying child support for a child, then one way or another they are the legal father. Either they signed the AOP or a court declared them the father, or both.

If the state attempted to get child support ordered for a particular child, from a particular man, and was challenged by the man and the state failed, that would generally indicate that a DNA test was performed that proved that he was not the ACTUAL father, therefore even if he was originally the legal father, that legal paternity was disestablished.

What is getting increasing clear here is that either you don't know the legal details, which are critical to getting reasonable advice, or that you don't know how to explain the legal details. Which is why everyone is telling you that an attorney is needed.

If you cannot explain it to us in a way that we can clearly understand the situation, then there is no way that you can explain it to a judge either...or in this case, that the parties with legal standing can explain it to a judge, because apparently you do not have legal standing.

Here is all that we really understand at this point:

Mom is in jail.
There are two children.
There is doubt as to who is the father of each child...both legally and biologically.
Someone who thinks he is the father has taken the the children and has filed for custody and the maternal extended family is upset.

One thing however that I CAN tell you is that if the person who has taken the children can prove not only that he is their biological father, but that he also has a relationship with the children and has acted as their father, then he WILL get sole legal and physical custody because mom is in jail. It will be up to mom to attempt to change that once she is released.

In that circumstance the most that the maternal family will be able to obtain is limited visitation, and that's not guaranteed.

Again, this is not something that should even be attempted without an attorney.
First of all, thank you for your answer. I totally agree that we need an attorney. Can't afford one right now, but maybe come time for the hearing we will.

I agree that he may get sole custody. But he has to prove it first. Something that has NOT been done. Until a judge orders the DNA test, proves paternity, and grants him sole custody, he cannot legally keep the kids' mother from receiving a call or a visit while she is away. Is there another provision of law that grants paternity besides ORS 109.070 1 (a) through (g)?

109.030 Equality in rights and responsibilities of parents
"Mother has a right to hear from her kids and how they are doing" even behind bars.

109.070 Establishing paternity. (1) The paternity of a person may be established as follows:
(a) A man is rebuttably presumed to be the father of a child born to a woman if he and the woman were married to each other at the time of the child’s birth, without a judgment of separation, regardless of whether the marriage is void.
(a) NO. Husband signed non-paternity papers with mother.
(b) A man is rebuttably presumed to be the father of a child born to a woman if he and the woman were married to each other and the child is born within 300 days after the marriage is terminated by death, annulment or dissolution or after entry of a judgment of separation.
(b) NO. he never married the mother. Also, see (a).
(c) By the marriage of the parents of a child after the birth of the child, and the parents filing with the State Registrar of the Center for Health Statistics the voluntary acknowledgment of paternity form as provided for by ORS 432.287.
(c) NO. Never married and form never filled our or filed.
(d) By filiation proceedings. A process whereby a court determines the paternity of an illegitimate child in order to establish the father's duty to provide support for the child.
(d) NO.
(e) By filing with the State Registrar of the Center for Health Statistics the voluntary acknowledgment of paternity form as provided for by ORS 432.287. Except as otherwise provided in subsections (4) to (7) of this section, this filing establishes paternity for all purposes.
(e) NO. Grandmother obtained copy of birth certificate. Still no father listed.
(f) By having established paternity through a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity process in another state.
(f) NO. Father refuses to sign paper with mother. Now that is not even possible for up to 24 months.
(g) By paternity being established or declared by other provision of law.
(g) NO.

It's all a moot point anyway. Until he ACTUALLY serves the papers to her, there will be no hearing on custody. Court records still show no Certificate of Service as of today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">