• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son and friends did a beer run cops keep coming?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave33

Very true

Im just trying to get a understand of what is going on as this is not something i have ever had to deal with.
You have no idea what's going on because you were not there. A good guess would be that the police do not have enough evidence to arrest your son and need him ti incriminate himself.

You have no idea if you are being lied to by your son or the police. Instruct him to answer no questions. goodluck.

TigerD

When he is arrested, or, when he is issued a summons or other order (juvenile detention order or warrant) compelling him to appear in court or before a Juvenile Probation Officer.
I disagree with this. The time to contact an attorney is now. The OP should have contacted an attorney when first advised of the suspicion. Tell your son you heard it here: DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE. REPEAT: "I DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS."

For the OP:
You should have not allowed him to speak with the officer in the first place. If a police officer comes and bangs on your doors and windows at 11:30 p.m., tell him to leave and file a complaint for disturbing the peace. It isn't appropriate or acceptable. If he has a warrant, he's coming in. If he doesn't have a warrant and he wants your cooperation, he can come back during civil hours. And his overtime isn't your problem. Now, other posters have rightly said, you can't interfere with the officer while he is conducting his investigation, but you don't have to open the door to your house, allow him into your house, talk to him, or even acknowledge his fraking existence - unless he has a warrant or is detaining you.

TD

CdwJava

I disagree with this. The time to contact an attorney is now. The OP should have contacted an attorney when first advised of the suspicion. Tell your son you heard it here: DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE. REPEAT: "I DO NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS."
I try not to encourage people to lay down $2,500-5,000 on a retainer when there is no need. He already knows that he does not have to answer any more questions, and neither does his son. He did not need to spend $5k to exercise that option. And, unless the matter is going to court, there will also be no need for an attorney.

For the OP:
You should have not allowed him to speak with the officer in the first place. If a police officer comes and bangs on your doors and windows at 11:30 p.m., tell him to leave and file a complaint for disturbing the peace. It isn't appropriate or acceptable.
That would NOT be "disturbing the peace." Sorry. Yes, you can ask him to leave and not speak to him, but it is hardly a criminal act for anyone to knock on your door even at 11:30 at night - especially when the police are there on business.

And, yeah, it's acceptable and lawful, and quite often, the only way to pursue and investigate crimes that happen at night.

eerelations

Underage drinkers are NOT good kids.
Oh please.

I was an underage drinker when I was a teenager, drank maybe 50 or 60 beers when I was 16 and 17 (18 was the legal drinking age where I was at the time), usually one on most occasions, sometimes two, and probably three on a few occasions. And I was a good kid! I got good marks in school (mostly As with the very occasional B), I almost always dated boys my parents liked and approved of (and the ones they didn't like? I dropped them pretty quick when I understood their unlikeable qualities), I worked constantly from the age of 16 onwards (I worked before the age of 16 but mostly just babysitting) at part time jobs during school and full time jobs during summer and Christmas holidays and I saved my money - no student loans required for university! - and I hardly ever broke curfew...and when I did it was like by five minutes or something and if more I phoned my parents and told them I'd be late and why.

So I was definitely NOT a bad kid.

STEPHAN

The fact they keep coming back is what has me worried as he told them everything he knew.
Maybe he did NOT tell everything he knew.

You have no idea. You did not know that he was drinking and stealing. How can you be sure that this was all?

You need to look at what the situation is, not what you would like it to be.

CdwJava

Underage drinking may not rise too high on anyone's scale of criminal malfeasance, but, it IS an unlawful, unhealthy, and a delinquent act that can and far too often DOES lead to other problems - including more serious criminal acts.

Getting caught ONE TIME for underage drinking can be detrimental to one's future. It can restrict access to scholarships, schools, employment, and even certain types of jobs including the military. Unfortunately, this is a difficult thing to relate to kids who think they are immortal and that negative consequences won't happen to them (these things happen to other people, not them :rolleyes:).

I, for one, am not going to simply write off underage drinking as "kids will be kids," because it IS dangerous. Yes, a lot of kids do it ... a lot of people also shoplift, drive drunk, and engage in underage and unsafe sexual practices - that doesn't make any of those things "ok", safe, or something we should simply accept.

In the case of the OP's kid, he engaged in more serious criminal activity either as a result of his drinking, or, in order to engage in drinking. Sorry to say that such things are not all that uncommon among frequent underage drinkers ... and, just as sadly, frequent underage drinking is also a common denominator in the overwhelming majority of delinquents that eventually end up in prison. It's one of those predictors that researchers have identified that can determine if a life of crime is likely in one's future.

Ah, well ...

eerelations

Underage drinking may not rise too high on anyone's scale of criminal malfeasance, but, it IS an unlawful, unhealthy, and a delinquent act that can and far too often DOES lead to other problems - including more serious criminal acts.

Getting caught ONE TIME for underage drinking can be detrimental to one's future. It can restrict access to scholarships, schools, employment, and even certain types of jobs including the military. Unfortunately, this is a difficult thing to relate to kids who think they are immortal and that negative consequences won't happen to them (these things happen to other people, not them :rolleyes:).

I, for one, am not going to simply write off underage drinking as "kids will be kids," because it IS dangerous. Yes, a lot of kids do it ... a lot of people also shoplift, drive drunk, and engage in underage and unsafe sexual practices - that doesn't make any of those things "ok", safe, or something we should simply accept.

In the case of the OP's kid, he engaged in more serious criminal activity either as a result of his drinking, or, in order to engage in drinking. Sorry to say that such things are not all that uncommon among frequent underage drinkers ... and, just as sadly, frequent underage drinking is also a common denominator in the overwhelming majority of delinquents that eventually end up in prison. It's one of those predictors that researchers have identified that can determine if a life of crime is likely in one's future.

Ah, well ...
I agree. I just disagreed with Ohiogal's blanket statement that drinking an occasional underage beer - by itself, no other related activities - somehow makes the underage drinker a bad person. I am not a bad person, and neither are the friends with whom I shared my underage beers.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree. I just disagreed with Ohiogal's blanket statement that drinking an occasional underage beer - by itself, no other related activities - somehow makes the underage drinker a bad person. I am not a bad person, and neither are the friends with whom I shared my underage beers.
Mom in this thread seems to be excusing her son's behaviors. He is not a good kid. He went on a beer run and stole beer. And she seems to think all is fine and dandy because her son is GOOD. No he isn't. He is a criminal. And if you drink underage, you are a criminal as well. That is the problem and there are consequences.

eerelations

Mom in this thread seems to be excusing her son's behaviors. He is not a good kid. He went on a beer run and stole beer. And she seems to think all is fine and dandy because her son is GOOD. No he isn't. He is a criminal. And if you drink underage, you are a criminal as well. That is the problem and there are consequences.
Ummm, I think you need to re-read my posts.

I never said I agreed with OP's contention that her son is a good kid. And I never said that stealing beer - or stealing anything, for that matter - is OK.

All I did was disagree your blanket statement that everyone who drinks underage is inherently bad.

And where I lived when I was a teenager, underage drinking (by itself, not associated with any other illegal activity) is not (or at least wasn't back when I was a teenager) a criminal activity. While I agree I broke the law when I was 16 and 17, I am most definitely not a bad person, nor am I a criminal.

OP's son? That's a different story.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ummm, I think you need to re-read my posts.

I never said I agreed with OP's contention that her son is a good kid. And I never said that stealing beer - or stealing anything, for that matter - is OK.

All I did was disagree your blanket statement that everyone who drinks underage is inherently bad.

And where I lived when I was a teenager, underage drinking (by itself, not associated with any other illegal activity) is not (or at least wasn't back when I was a teenager) a criminal activity. While I agree I broke the law when I was 16 and 17, I am most definitely not a bad person, nor am I a criminal.

OP's son? That's a different story.
If you break the law you are a criminal. Inherently bad? Nope. Didn't say that. I said he isn't a good kid as his mom seems to think he is a saint and underage drinking is one of the reasons why.

eerelations

Again, I wasn't disagreeing with (and still don't disagree with) your statement that OP's kid is a bad kid.

I was disagreeing with your other statement that all kids who drink underage are all bad, for no other reason but that they drank alcohol while underage.

(Another example: my brother - the family saint - drank underage once when he was 17. That's very likely the only illegal thing he's ever done in his entire life. Are you seriously saying that because of that one single incident he is doomed to be dumped into the category of "bad person"? Really?)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Again, I wasn't disagreeing with (and still don't disagree with) your statement that OP's kid is a bad kid.

I was disagreeing with your other statement that all kids who drink underage are all bad, for no other reason but that they drank alcohol while underage.

(Another example: my brother - the family saint - drank underage once when he was 17. That's very likely the only illegal thing he's ever done in his entire life. Are you seriously saying that because of that one single incident he is doomed to be dumped into the category of "bad person"? Really?)
No I am not. I am not saying he or you are inherently bad.

eerelations

Well no you didn't use the word "inherently" but you did say "Underage drinkers are NOT good kids." Which means they must be BAD kids, right? (What else could it mean?) And I disagree with that, I think many of the kids who drink underage ARE good kids, who just do dumb things now and then.

We just have a difference of opinion on this, that's all. :)

justalayman

Well no you didn't use the word "inherently" but you did say "Underage drinkers are NOT good kids." Which means they must be BAD kids, right? (What else could it mean?) And I disagree with that, I think many of the kids who drink underage ARE good kids, who just do dumb things now and then.

We just have a difference of opinion on this, that's all. :)
So there is no middle ground? It's either good or bad? A kid can't be not bad but not good either or does being not bad automatically make them good and being not good automatically make them bad?

And does the metric system come into play here? From what I recall you are Canadian so that would mean a can of beer there isn't necessarily the same as a can of beer here. I remember the Molson cans when I was a kid. Equal to about 2 of our typical cans. Seems Guinness came in large containers as well. Drinking a beer or two up there could mean drinking 4 or 5 down here. Does that make a difference?

But if we involve othere countries mores, bringing Italians into this (just because I like Italian food) from my understanding it is common for the children to drink wine from an early age. Seems like I recall it has something to do with the general water conditions in the country. Does that mean that all Italian children are bad kids (I guess that would explain the Mafia issues). Is it typical for Canadians to drink beer at a young age? If so does that mean a kid that drinks beer in Canada is not a bad kid (based only on the fact they drink beer) but the same action with the same aged child in the US would be considered to be a bad kid?

Then, if we have somebody like Jesus (yes, that Jesus). If underage drinking makes one a bad kid, given Jesus' contributions to the world, would be still be considered a bad kid if he was drinking while under age (and in the US)? Or does the condemnation wipe the board of all redeeming traits?

Welcome to verbacious Thursday. I've got time to spare and nothing to say so be prepared for overly verbose posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">