• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mizzz2u

Stealth...that was something to do with what rmet was saying about immaturity, and odd language.

rmet...so it happened 3 times...once recently and 2 other times over a year ago when my son was 13. So hmmm that may apply then.

I can't get a law guardian until charges are filed against him. So I have to wait. He will get one when the arrest him and refuses to answer questions without a law guardian present.

rmet4nzkx

stealth2 said:
What does this have to do with anything, tho?
It has to do with how he will answer questions during the investigation, his understanding of the expectations of society and his ability to pragmaticaly apply the rules he learns with how he functions in society. Since the child is reportedly immature there may be reasons for it. That is also why I asked about misunderstandings, in part because of her son's reaction to being caught, all things that will help when they assess him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Okay. To me, that's not odd language for a 14yo. It's about the vocabulary I'd expect from my 10 & 12 yo's.

M

mizzz2u

little update

I went to the police station today...told them i was waiting until Wed when I talk to an attorney per her advise. He asked what the attorney's name was...when I told him he changed a little. Come to find out she sat on the family court bench for many years before going back to her law firm. He said he has a lot of respect for that lady. Another man told me she is the mercedes of lawyers :)

That was nice to here as that is where i opened the phone book up to and she's the first one to pop out at me.

I also found out that they are not taking him through criminal court, but family court instead.

Maybe I can relax a little until I see the police man again.

Just thought I would update you. (but remind me to ask this lawyer about a lifetime being a sexual offender.)

Have a good one

rmet4nzkx

mizzz2u said:
I went to the police station today...told them i was waiting until Wed when I talk to an attorney per her advise. He asked what the attorney's name was...when I told him he changed a little. Come to find out she sat on the family court bench for many years before going back to her law firm. He said he has a lot of respect for that lady. Another man told me she is the mercedes of lawyers :)

That was nice to here as that is where i opened the phone book up to and she's the first one to pop out at me.

I also found out that they are not taking him through criminal court, but family court instead.

Maybe I can relax a little until I see the police man again.

Just thought I would update you. (but remind me to ask this lawyer about a lifetime being a sexual offender.)

Have a good one
It's good that they have respect for both your family and your attorney, once again, you did everything right by reporting it and also being up front with the police, in the long run it is in your son's best interest and the other child to get to the bottom of this so it doesn't become a problem.

rmet4nzkx

mizzz2u said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I have addressed this earlier, but now I have papers. I have a couple questions. A 14 year old that hasn't been in trouble before now being charged in family court one D felony and two B felonies and a misdemeanor charge. What is this likely worst case senerio that I'm looking at for my son? And when you get served for a juvenille case, should you receive the papers in a sealed envelope or just handed to you stapled together?
I moved this here to help you not have to answer all the questions all over again you may want to delete the other thread as this is still open.

It doesn't matter how the charges are delivered sealed or open, it matters that you have them now and that your attorney has them. When did you receive these charges, has your son undergone any forensic psychological evaluation?

What exactly are the charges, the numbers?

Does he have a court date?

M

mizzz2u

rmet4nzkx said:
I moved this here to help you not have to answer all the questions all over again you may want to delete the other thread as this is still open.

It doesn't matter how the charges are delivered sealed or open, it matters that you have them now and that your attorney has them. When did you receive these charges, has your son undergone any forensic psychological evaluation?

What exactly are the charges, the numbers?

Does he have a court date?
First it matters how they were delivered a little, because the officer that did tends to have a big mouth in a small town.

Okay now...we are getting a law guardian tomorrow when we go to the initial hearing. No he hasn't gone under any forensic psychological evaluation.
The charges by number are as follows...130.65(3) 2 counts of 301.2(8) and 260.10(1) all under the Family Court Act

now...going by what my son says, some of what is in the statements I received is untrue. Some of it I know to be untrue as well. I was all ready to plea it out until I received these yesterday. I didn't want either of the boys to have to go through a trial. Now I'm confused and can't wait to talk to the attorney.

Your input is appreciated and I thank you very much.

rmet4nzkx

Much will have to wait until your visit to the Law Guardian later today.

I understand the delivery of the charges is a sensitive issue with you but there is little that can be done to protect your son and in fact there has been over a month delay in issuing the charges.

You can find link to New your law here: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/index.html where you can look up the charges: 130.65(3) 2 counts of 301.2(8) and 260.10(1)
and information about what to expect insofar as procedures http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c42/a17.html \

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">