• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spanking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

The problem with changing sides is that you don't always get to say no to the guy (or girl) in front of you charged with criminal child abuse .... I'd rather do 10 on the other side than one on from the defense table.
No argument there and 99% of the cases had 18-b's assigned to them (shocking, I know) whose role was to try to get as little punishment as possible. I'm not sure I recall one ever exonerating their client. The vast majority of cases we wrote up didn't even go to trial - the 18-b's would try and get a deal as quickly as possible to keep their clients out of the system, where, if we didn't like you, could take years and years to get a resolution to your case :)

The real fun part was when a private lawyer would come in -- none had ever been in Family Court before and were usually quite surprised at the "latitude" the judges would give the ACS lawyers. "Hearsay? You don't say. Never heard of it!"

BelizeBreeze

No argument there and 99% of the cases had 18-b's assigned to them (shocking, I know) whose role was to try to get as little punishment as possible. I'm not sure I recall one ever exonerating their client. The vast majority of cases we wrote up didn't even go to trial - the 18-b's would try and get a deal as quickly as possible to keep their clients out of the system, where, if we didn't like you, could take years and years to get a resolution to your case :)

The real fun part was when a private lawyer would come in -- none had ever been in Family Court before and were usually quite surprised at the "latitude" the judges would give the ACS lawyers. "Hearsay? You don't say. Never heard of it!"
It's a rat race out there and the rat's are winning.....:cool:

hotspa

Having your name on a state registry till your youngest kid turns 28 is a scary time.
Realizing every other dad will be on it sooner or later, may make it easier. (oh he’s on that list, hey the whole street is on that list.) After all, the higher the count the bigger the percentage of the budget you can claim for your dept.
Unfortunally it makes the serious offenders look good or even acceptable.

:p
In my defense, Family Court here is broken down into two "departments", PINS/criminal (handled by the DA) and the abuse/neglect/TPR/adoption (handled by BCW, HRA, SSC, CWA or ACS, depending on how old you are) which is where I was. When I started picking up multiple child rapes on Intake days, I knew it was time to find a job that didn't make me want to kill the people who made my job necessary. (Still looking for that job, incidentally). On the "bright" side, I learned more than any human being should ever need to know about spotting deliberate burns and infant sexual abuse. So at least I got that going for me.
Thanks for trying to fight for those that can't !

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Having your name on a state registry till your youngest kid turns 28 is a scary time.
Realizing every other dad will be on it sooner or later, may make it easier. (oh he’s on that list, hey the whole street is on that list.) After all, the higher the count the bigger the percentage of the budget you can claim for your dept.
That's BS. Not all fathers have to resort to hitting their kids.

CJane

You're an idiot.

Should have thought about 'the list' before you started smacking your kid around.

ceara19

What's scary is a CHILD ABUSER being able to have his name removed from that list. You'll still be a CHILD ABUSER regardless of how old your children are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">