• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special regulations for dangerous dog owners but no record of dangerous found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aj7467

I am in Texas and this concerns dangerous dog. Five of my ten month pups escaped my yard and I was actively searching when I came across city police and city impound. Was told ten very aggressive dogs randomly attacking teens for no reason. School police told me they used pepper spray and rubber bullets, seems like provacation. I captured two of my dogs and was handcuffed for three hours then while city caught two. I only had five and it was reported ten dogs. No previous signs of aggression from my dogs and I was not given any details on the scene on any bites or incidents nor any descriptions of any dogs nor any sworn complaints. Nothing at all. City gave me three options of quarantine I choose the vet quarantine and then the officer called my employer to the scene which was local dog rescue and I was forced to sign owner surrender papers or lose my job. I signed but immediately redacted it by sending email to city impound director and asked her not to involve my employer in my personal matters again but she ignored that and my employer fired me within ten minutes of sending that email because she came to my house and told me she knew about email and that I was fired for not obeying and none of my dogs were euthanized and placed in quarantine. Still no descriptions or sworn complaints or any warrents. All alleged injuries (4) I was told there was like 8 but all four seen by doctor all superficial no treatment needed. I was harressed daily for over a week by animal control officers and at the end of the week I had gotten a total of 39 citations for this. Got daily citations for that week. At end of ten days after I sent numerous emails to city impound advising them that I will pick up my dogs and was awaiting any dangerous dog determination cux I would appeal it. Never got one at ten days I pick up my dogs but I'm refused no court order no sworn statements told that I need to go to court to determine correct amount of fines. Well court said no jurisdiction to deem dogs dangerous animal control didn't deem dangerous. Owner surrender forms validity questioned but never settled by court cux no jurisdiction so they made it a noncompliance hearing of dangerous dog regs. But nobody has deemed dogs dangerous. Animal control admits to having no sworn complaints description given during this hearing on one dog led by attorney showing four pics of only my dogs. Was ordered euthanized I appealed county rejected appeal they have no idea here now ten months later it finally at appeallate court but my county lost intial hearing saying it was deleted by system. I objected to everything. Not allowed a court appointed attorney. Everything I objected too lost and now they claim it lost die to my appeal not perfected in the ten days which it was but county rejected it it all nonsense. My question is how can I be ordered to follow a certain regulation for dangerous dog owners when there is no record of anyone deemong dogs dangerous. They claim cux owner surrender form has the word dangerous in the body of text.

Just Blue

I am in Texas and this concerns dangerous dog. Five of my ten month pups escaped my yard and I was actively searching when I came across city police and city impound. Was told ten very aggressive dogs randomly attacking teens for no reason. School police told me they used pepper spray and rubber bullets, seems like provacation. I captured two of my dogs and was handcuffed for three hours then while city caught two. I only had five and it was reported ten dogs. No previous signs of aggression from my dogs and I was not given any details on the scene on any bites or incidents nor any descriptions of any dogs nor any sworn complaints. Nothing at all. City gave me three options of quarantine I choose the vet quarantine and then the officer called my employer to the scene which was local dog rescue and I was forced to sign owner surrender papers or lose my job. I signed but immediately redacted it by sending email to city impound director and asked her not to involve my employer in my personal matters again but she ignored that and my employer fired me within ten minutes of sending that email because she came to my house and told me she knew about email and that I was fired for not obeying and none of my dogs were euthanized and placed in quarantine. Still no descriptions or sworn complaints or any warrents. All alleged injuries (4) I was told there was like 8 but all four seen by doctor all superficial no treatment needed. I was harressed daily for over a week by animal control officers and at the end of the week I had gotten a total of 39 citations for this. Got daily citations for that week. At end of ten days after I sent numerous emails to city impound advising them that I will pick up my dogs and was awaiting any dangerous dog determination cux I would appeal it. Never got one at ten days I pick up my dogs but I'm refused no court order no sworn statements told that I need to go to court to determine correct amount of fines. Well court said no jurisdiction to deem dogs dangerous animal control didn't deem dangerous. Owner surrender forms validity questioned but never settled by court cux no jurisdiction so they made it a noncompliance hearing of dangerous dog regs. But nobody has deemed dogs dangerous. Animal control admits to having no sworn complaints description given during this hearing on one dog led by attorney showing four pics of only my dogs. Was ordered euthanized I appealed county rejected appeal they have no idea here now ten months later it finally at appeallate court but my county lost intial hearing saying it was deleted by system. I objected to everything. Not allowed a court appointed attorney. Everything I objected too lost and now they claim it lost die to my appeal not perfected in the ten days which it was but county rejected it it all nonsense. My question is how can I be ordered to follow a certain regulation for dangerous dog owners when there is no record of anyone deemong dogs dangerous. They claim cux owner surrender form has the word dangerous in the body of text.
What kind of dogs are these?
How did the dogs escape your yard?

quincy

In addition to the questions asked by Just Blue: Where are the dogs now? How many dogs do you currently have at your home?

Why were you handcuffed by the police?

What sort of job do you have that your employer would be contacted about this?

Your situation as described is a bit confusing.

Here is a link to the animal laws of Texas:

https://www.animallaw.info/statutes/us/texas

aj7467

What kind of dogs are these?
How did the dogs escape your yard?
Their mom was a full blooded white lab but dad unknown. They were ten months old and a couple were brindle colored and couple were tan and one was white. Biggest one was the white one and she was mentally slow or something. She had a lazy eye and she just didn't catch on to things like the rest but she was so sweet. There was a neighborhood kid who used to come by and play with them before school sometimes and this was one of them. We had a double gated privacy fence with a third gate that actually opened inward so the pups couldn't accidently push open gate it had to be pulled open. The kid was always so careful to close the gate but my hubby was walking towards the gate to pick up his keys to go to store and I think Casey thought he was coming in the gate and he just barely left it ajar but it was enough for them to pull open. They only been out ten minutes when I noticed it quiet. I actually had five of the pups get out plus my little corgi. So six total but my hubby caught my corgi asap. But I didn't know and when I seen animal control and explained I had six get out but my hubby had my corgi already so I still had five pups. The officer was very rude to me. Was constantly telling me I'm on camera so don't lie which I didn't. Hell on the school police report one of the teens was from a incident from day before. Plus I caught two of my dogs asap and was in my custody during these alleged incidents for two hours while I was handcuffed in middle of street for no reason, he said for my safety from aggressive dogs that I said I was going to catch but yet there was no concern when I caught the first two in front of seven police officers or when the third came running up and I was handcuffed or when they told my hubby to go catch the one that ran off when I was in cuffs. One that I caught had open bleeding wound on face from rubber bullet but animal control says nope he must of been clipped by car because they don't aim for face. Come to find out there has not been any dangerous dog cases here cux animal control convinces owner to surrender dog. There has never been a registered one. Plus they ticketed me for maintaining a viscious dog times 6. Officer say I lied about breed and age and that they are viscious but I have proof of age and at least mom's breed.said I allowed them to roam, hell I was looking for them when I ran into the officer.

aj7467

I am really sorry for long reply it just these are my babies and I just can't believe this. I got 39 citations. On scene I got 19 then they harressed me everyday for a week giving me more tickets for two dogs at large and two refusing to turn over for quarantine. Only one dog escaped that was the white one and I have not seen her since then but he insisted that I had six dogs out and I said yes five pups and my corgi. They caught two I caught two and my corgi and one got away. I even eventually asked if I could go see them at the pound but the director won't even allow me in there but my neighbor can go see my dogs cux they in the public eye. These teens were 17. And all superficial by a doctor no treatment.

aj7467

Okay the dogs are still in impound. I was actively looking for my dogs when I ran into the animal control officer. I talked with him and like any dog owner that loves their dogs I denied that my dogs were involved cux they just had never done anything like this. And instead of arguing with him I told him I needed to find my dogs before they got hurt and walked off and when I did I heard him over his rDio say that the owner was on scene and that I was argumentative and uncooperative. When I seen the police I talked to the srgt. Explained the situation. He ran my name and as I was standing there I got worried about my dogs. I asked the srgt if everything was okay and if I was being arrested or detained for anything and he replied no so I started to walk off cux I just needed to find my dogs. And this srgt gets out of his car and yells at me that I must stay put and I asked for what reason and as we are debating this that is when the two of of my dogs run around corner full speed. I yell their names Tiger and Betty and their heads swoop around to see me and I tell them to sit and stay, which they do. I walk about 25 feet and pick Betty up in my arms and carry her to the van about ten feet away and put her in and then I go back for tiger and do the same. There is about seven cops watching me do this and my hubby there in the van. As I shut the door the srgt handcuffs me and I ask why and he says I'm being detained for my safety. Safety from what? He says cuz he has pack of ten aggressive dogs that I said I was going to catch. But nobody concerned five minutes ago when I caught two them a third came running around corner and I called to her and I'm handcuffed and squat down so i can't defend against any aggresiv dogs but nobody concerned and then the srgt tells my hubby to go catch the one that ran off and yhee no concern for his safety. No police report filed on my detainment of more than two hours in handcuffs. It took me three months to get srgt name. The animal control officer showed up after two hours after he caught two of my dogs. That when he gave me options of quarantine. I said no to owner surrender because they euthanize all owner surrenders and no to decapitation. I choose the vet quarantine that I pay for and he said ok he be back he needed to confirm something. He in his truck ten minutes when my boss shows up. I worked at a local dog rescue as the kennel tech for last two years. When my boss showed up I asked her why she here and she told me to hold on she need to talk to officer and she was talking with him and then they both walked over to me and she had the owner surrender papers in her hand and I looked at officer and said you called my boss on me cux I wouldn't let you kill my dogs. He said that he needed her help on this and walked off. That when cuffs taken off and my boss and me are alone and she told me to sign or lose my job. I kept refusing until I gave in finally cux I'm the only income but as soon as I was out of her sight I emailed the director of animal control but she just forwarded that email to my boss too. I know it confusing nothing seemed right. I read statues and that when I seen dangerous dog statues. I knew I was suppose to get a written determination from animal control. I told the director in the email that I would appeal this determination when and if I received one but I never got one. Animal control on the stand states we don't follow the law on these cases because we lack proper tools to perform investigation within set time limit of ten days of impoundment. This btw is day 22 of their impoundment on first court hearing.but they do not have sworn complaints. And never did. I have read most of the laws on these cases. And from what I take I am correct. Dogs were not determined dangerous by animal control I was never given anything or did anybody even mention dangerous dog regs or anything on dangerous dogs on the scene or for the next week when they harrwsd me everyday. I knew cux I read it but I got no determination nor did I get any positive identification of my dog being involved because I claimed provacation also. Court automatically states no jurisdiction to deem dogs dangerous either at this hearing so how can it legally be declared a noncompliance hearing of dangerous dog regs when both the court and animal control state on record that they did not deem dogs dangerous .

commentator

Okay, you have, by your complete and detailed repetition of some of the information NOT the information we had requested here, convinced me that practically nothing happened as you say it did. I am also completely still mystified about what actually DID happen. It's like you're trying to obfuscate what happened with loads of TMI and small details that aren't relevant. And endless unrelated arguments. What it amount to is, you had five, ten month old (might as well say pretty much full grown) dogs at least the size of a lab, unless that father was a chihuahua! running around in your yard. That is quite a handful. They got out. People were upset. This was close to a school. Some eight to ten people had treatment for wounds caused by the dogs. (?) The police were involved. Thay charged you with something. You were fired from your job. You got multiple citations.

If you can't make this clear to people on this board (try doing it in short succinct statements, not more that about five of them) you are very obviously not going to get anywhere with court without legal representation. What, indentally is your legal question?

One thing I find absolutely unbelievable is that two of your dogs came charging around the corner of a building, and at the sound of your voice, they went into a complete immediate Sit /Stay. That's pretty amazing. Kudos to your job of training these animals, why didn't you just train them to leave you a note before going out and to be home by curfew?

Last edited:

quincy

... Kudos to your job of training these animals, why didn't you just train them to leave you a note before going out and to be home by curfew?
^^^ :)

First, a dangerous dog is defined in Texas as a dog that makes an unprovoked attack on a person (or animal) while off the owner’s property or a dog that commits unprovoked acts that create a reasonable belief that the dog will cause bodily injury.

Your dog(s) apparently attacked several people while off your property and running loose. Your dog(s) caused injury to several people, albeit (thankfully) minor injuries.

A single dog, on its own, may not be all that dangerous. A single dog may respond to trained commands. A pack of dogs, on the other hand, could ignore all owner commands and could easily lead a person to a reasonable belief and fear of bodily injury.

Because of the circumstances you describe,“dangerous dog” designations seem appropriate. Of the numerous citations you received, I am confident that at least one of them informed you that your dog(s) were deemed dangerous. Witness statements and the fact that there were several injuries would support that designation.

I understand better now why your employer was notified and why you lost your job. You worked for a local animal rescue. It would not be unusual for the police to contact an animal rescue organization when faced with a pack of dogs. That you say the police said you were “uncooperative” and “argumentative” could be a good reason for the animal rescue to relieve you of your job.

You will have to take care of the citations. I understand you are disputing one or more (or all?) of them. Because the fines that can come from 39 citations are probably significant, I suggest you find an attorney in your area to assist you with your dispute. I can understand your concern for the dogs in quarantine and your reluctance to sign away your ownership rights but I personally do not see you faring too well in court.

For the dogs that currently remain in your care, I recommend you acquire liability insurance coverage. This insurance will not cover you in the event one or more of the injured in this case decide to file a civil action against you but insurance will be important to have in case any of your dogs get loose again. You might want to contact your current insurer to see if your coverage includes complaints that may be filed against you.

Just Blue

^^^ :)

First, a dangerous dog is defined in Texas as a dog that makes an unprovoked attack on a person (or animal) while off the owner’s property or a dog that commits unprovoked acts that create a reasonable belief that the dog will cause bodily injury.

Your dog(s) apparently attacked several people while off your property and running loose. Your dog(s) caused injury to several people, albeit (thankfully) minor injuries.

A single dog, on its own, may not be all that dangerous. A single dog may respond to trained commands. A pack of dogs, on the other hand, could ignore all owner commands and could easily lead a person to a reasonable belief and fear of bodily injury.

Because of the circumstances you describe,“dangerous dog” designations seem appropriate. Of the numerous citations you received, I am confident that at least one of them informed you that your dog(s) were deemed dangerous. Witness statements and the fact that there were several injuries would support that designation.

I understand better now why your employer was notified and why you lost your job. You worked for a local animal rescue. It would not be unusual for the police to contact an animal rescue organization when faced with a pack of dogs. That you say the police said you were “uncooperative” and “argumentative” could be a good reason for the animal rescue to relieve you of your job.

You will have to take care of the citations. I understand you are disputing one or more (or all?) of them. Because the fines that can come from 39 citations are probably significant, I suggest you find an attorney in your area to assist you with your dispute. I can understand your concern for the dogs in quarantine and your reluctance to sign away your ownership rights but I personally do not see you faring too well in court.

For the dogs that currently remain in your care, I recommend you acquire liability insurance coverage. This insurance will not cover you in the event one or more of the injured in this case decide to file a civil action against you but insurance will be important to have in case any of your dogs get loose again. You might want to contact your current insurer to see if your coverage includes complaints that may be filed against you.
Perfectly and most excellently stated, Quincy!

quincy

Perfectly and most excellently stated, Quincy!
Thank you, Blue. :)

I probably should have mentioned that there could not only be fines involved but also misdemeanor charges. It would be smart for aj7467 to have an attorney review all of the citations to see if any can be dismissed outright and to help aj7467 determine what needs to be done to satisfy the rest - and to help with defending against any criminal charges and/or civil actions that arise in the future from her dogs’ escape and escapades.

I hope for aj7467’s sake that all of her dogs are registered and were up-to-date on vaccinations.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Thank you, Blue. :)

I probably should have mentioned that there could not only be fines involved but also misdemeanor charges. It would be smart for aj7467 to have an attorney review all of the citations to see if any can be dismissed outright and to help aj7467 determine what needs to be done to satisfy the rest - and to help with defending against any criminal charges and/or civil actions that arise in the future from her dogs’ escape and escapades.

I hope for ah7467 sake that all of her dogs are registered and were up-to-date on vaccinations.
I'm thinking they are not vaccinated based on the quarantine as opposed to impound.

The dogs should have had all their shots and been fixed months ago, and perhaps OP's neglect of her own dogs contributed to her termination from the rescue.
Not a shining example of proper dog owner love and responsibility, is our OP. :(

quincy

I'm thinking they are not vaccinated based on the quarantine as opposed to impound.

The dogs should have had all their shots and been fixed months ago, and perhaps OP's neglect of her own dogs contributed to her termination from the rescue.
Not a shining example of proper dog owner love and responsibility, is our OP. :(
That’s a reasonable assumption but, under the State of Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 826, all animals involved in a reported bite or scratch incident must be quarantined, regardless of vaccination record showing animal was up-to-date on required vaccines.

Home quarantine can be possible in some cases but, from what aj7467 has described, her home would not be eligible. Even if all vaccinations are up-to-date, home confinement is not permitted when the animal was at large at the time of the bite/scratch, and the biter must not be around other animals in the home.

https://casetext.com/statute/texas-codes/health-and-safety-code/title-10-health-and-safety-of-animals/chapter-826-rabies

Last edited:

commentator

In my youth, I raised dogs, with my husband, on a farm, and lets just say that with the optimism of youth and energy, we got way over our heads very fast! I question the idea that "all the dogs are registered" as in registered brings up AKC, but no local ordinances that I know of. Leash laws might come into the problem, depending on what sort of area (city county rural) they live in. I am wondering where they got 39 citations. But even with the best of intentions, with fully vaccinated dogs, this OP would have had a handful. regardless of how friendly and socialized the dogs were to "seventeen year olds" (which sounds lots better than kids or teengers, doesn't it? ) Truth is, there was potential for these dogs to get loose, and when they get out in a group, dogs tend to get wild with each other, and can be dangerous and do real harm.

And when that handful, be it six or five or whatever got loose, apparently they did some real damage, and exhibited pack behaviors, and there are some real problems that have happened. No bite is a "minor" bite Being bitten is NO fun! I would think that the OP desperately needs legal advice, and needs to pass off about three fourths of these animals, if they ever get them back, to someone else. And in the future, do not have litters of puppies and keep more than one or two past early puppyhood. Have the dogs you're going to keep spayed and neutered and do not try to become the dog sanctuary of the world. This is not unsympathetic advice here, I do so understand loving dogs and thinking you can handle lots of them. I have the scars to prove it.

Last edited:

Just Blue

In my youth, I raised dogs, with my husband, on a farm, and lets just say that with the optimism of youth and energy, we got way over our heads very fast! I question the idea that "all the dogs are registered" as in registered brings up AKC, but no local ordinances that I know of. Leash laws might come into the problem, depending on what sort of area (city county rural) they live in. I am wondering where they got 36 citations. But even with the best of intentions, with fully vaccinated dogs, this OP would have had a handful. regardless of how friendly and socialized the dogs were to "seventeen year olds" (which sounds lots better than kids or teengers, doesn't it? ) Truth is, there was potential for these dogs to get loose, and when they get out in a group, dogs tend to get wild with each other, and can be dangerous and do real harm.

And when that handful, be it six or five or whatever got loose, apparently they did some real damage, and exhibited pack behaviors, and there are some real problems that have happened. No bite is a "minor" bite Being bitten is NO fun! I would think that the OP desperately needs legal advice, and needs to pass off about three fourths of these animals, if they ever get them back, to someone else. And in the future, do not have litters of puppies and keep more than one or two past early puppyhood. Have the dogs you're going to keep spayed and neutered and do not try to become the dog sanctuary of the world. This is not unsympathetic advice here, I do so understand loving dogs and thinking you can handle lots of them. I have the scars to prove it.
Another awesome post with truly excellent advice!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I question the idea that "all the dogs are registered" as in registered brings up AKC, but no local ordinances that I know of.
I have to assume that this is a residential are (as opposed to farmland), so it is quite likely the town requires dogs to be registered (with proof of vaccination). As well as having limits on the number of dogs allowed w/o a breeder/kennel license. The pups would not be eligible for AKC registration as it seems one parent is “unknown”, indicating the b*tch was outside the control of the owner while in heat.

And I agree that no dog bite is “no big deal”… I’ve been bitten and not sought medical care (for my own reasons), but it was no fun at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">