• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speedin Ticket in MA with NJ license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamBanner

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi:

I just moved to MA (<15 days). I have not yet changed my License to MA.

I got a speeding ticket on Mass Pike last night (11/05) - agreed I was over limit but I had a radar detector and it did not show anything
the office was very rude - he screamed and said that I have a digital dash and he can view my speed !! (he was wearing glasses !!)
he wrote me a ticket and threw it at me and said ' u can go ahead and lie about ur speed limit but I saw ur speed in ur dash - citation is written at the back' he scooted off at about twice the speed !!

The ticket says 'Speeding' a'rite! but both 90/17 and 90/18 is crossed and has '730 CMR 7.08(6)' written on it and it says 100mph on a 65 mph !! (I am positive I was below 100 !!) and has a fine of $350 !!

I want to find out if I will get points and/or is there anything I can do to reduce fine ...

thanks
Sam

FlyingRon

I got a speeding ticket on Mass Pike last night (11/05) - agreed I was over limit but I had a radar detector and it did not show anything
That's not a defense.
the office was very rude
Rudeness is not going to affect your guilt. If you think he acted improperly you can file a complaint with the police but it won't affect the outcome of your ticket.
said that I have a digital dash and he can view my speed !! (he was wearing glasses !!)
Then he wouldn't even need radar. And I don't know how to interpret your glasses crack. I suspect you have a bit of an attitude problem yourself.

he wrote me a ticket and threw it at me and said ' u can go ahead and lie about ur speed limit but I saw ur speed in ur dash - citation is written at the back' he scooted off at about twice the speed !!
The ticket says 'Speeding' a'rite! but both 90/17 and 90/18 is crossed and has '730 CMR 7.08(6)' written on it and it says 100mph on a 65 mph !! (I am positive I was below 100 !!) and has a fine of $350 !!
You'll have to go to court and refute the officers testimony that he observed you at that speed.

I want to find out if I will get points and/or is there anything I can do to reduce fine ...
Of course you will get points.

SamBanner

Tx for the reply !!

here is where I am comming from - doesn't one need any proof ? (like a clock or a radar reading etc.. ? )

Sorry if my tone displayed 'attitude' I did not mean too but the officer was rude indeed - but I can understand from your post that its another story for another day.
For now I am considering options - should I pay off the ticket or plead not guilty

As regards to points -- I wanted to confirm this as the post stated here <http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070828125816AAhutyk>

states otherwise.

Thanks
Sam

FlyingRon

Out of state violations will give you points in NJ. You may dodge any NJ sanctions if you get your MA license before the info propagates. HOWEVER, insurance companies aren't anywhere near as ineffiencient. Expect to suffer their knocks.

The cop can use any number of means to determine your speed. Radar, Lidar, VASCAR or the other glorified stopwatches, pacing you with his car... Reading your spedometer directly is a new one on me but I have no reason to believe that it would't be admissable.

You better hope the judge doesn't wear glasses if you intend to make any cracks about assumptions of poor vision for those wearing them.

The Occultist

here is where I am comming from - doesn't one need any proof ? (like a clock or a radar reading etc.. ? )
Even if he used radar to clock you, it's not as if the device prints out some sort of reading the officer can take with him to court; it will still be his word that the radar gave whatever speed it gave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">