• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket on my own property problem.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stanbien12

I live in South Carolina. I own a mile-and-a-half long driveway that is about 2 lanes wide leading from a 4 lane public road all the way to my house. My property starts 10ft from the public road and all of the driveway is totally on my property. I was being followed by a police officer while I was testing my newly finished project car on the public road driving within the speed limit and laws. Then I turned onto my driveway and went about 100ft onto my driveway and well onto my property and hit the gas hard to break the car in a little, granted the driveway is perfectly level, totally straight, and in race track condition with no side ditches and goes between two large open fields and the weather conditions were beyond excellent. I got to up to my house, I got out of my car and there was the cop racing up faster than me up the driveway about 70mph (I had a go-pro chest cam on while testing the car and I got all on video) and proceeded to kick,scream, and give me a speeding ticket. I tried to explain to him what I did but there was no hope and I got stuck with a ticket (have video/sound of the total conversation as well). My question is should I appeal the ticket and what is the recommended way to appeal it. Please Help.

FlyingRon

Traffic cases are not adjudicated on the side of the road (or in your car for that matter). You should go to court and CONTEST (don't use the word appeal this time as you're not yet at that stage) that you were on a private DRIVEWAY under the statute and the speeding statute applies only to HIGHWAY (which is the boundaries of the publically matained place for vehicular travel). It matters not if your DRIVEWAY is available for use by others than you (i.e., not required for it to be gated off before you do this).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">