• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket - Opinions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeKV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I received a speeding ticket. 58 in a 40 zone. The officer officially wrote the ticket for 49 in a 40 zone with a note saying that my actual speed was 58. Yes, he gave me a break with only a 1 point ticket vs 2 points. I had a clean record otherwise.

I had the option of going to court and pleading "guilty w/an explanation" to attempt to ask the judge to take the points off and only adding the fine. I was concerned that even if I pled guilty the judge could have asked the officer, assuming the officer appeared, what my actual speed was. With the judge finding that my actual speed was 58 and I already got a break with a 49mph in a 40 zone ticket the judge could have charged me with my actual speed and giving me a 2 point infraction. Thus, I decided to pay the ticket and to know to slow down in the future.

btw - while sitting in court last year due to a no-fault accident that my wife had I saw the judge do the exact thing that I was concerned about with my ticket. The judge, rightfully so, had no sympathy for speeders and gave most if not all defendants the maximum charge.

Did I make the correct decision with my ticket to just pay it or should I have taken it to court and pled guilty w/an explanation to try to reduce the charge?

seniorjudge

Q: Did I make the correct decision with my ticket to just pay it or should I have taken it to court and pled guilty w/an explanation to try to reduce the charge?

A: My guess, based on the limited information in your post, is that you got a good deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">