• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding violation but no speed limit sign visible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So simplicity sake [SIC] I was referring to RADAR detector instead of typing RADAR/LASER detector every time.
Well, why don't you forget simplicity and accurately relate the facts.

At typical distances used in traffic enforcement the width of the laser beam produced by traffic Lidar is only 6-12 inches. It is very likely that your "RADAR/LASER detector" did not pick up the ultraviolet radiation produced by the Lidar unit.

Of course, none of that is relevant in court. Your whatever detector is not any evidence a judge would consider, since it's an untested/unverified piece of equipment.

vfpeter

Well, why don't you forget simplicity and accurately relate the facts.

At typical distances used in traffic enforcement the width of the laser beam produced by traffic Lidar is only 6-12 inches. It is very likely that your "RADAR/LASER detector" did not pick up the ultraviolet radiation produced by the Lidar unit.

Of course, none of that is relevant in court. Your whatever detector is not any evidence a judge would consider, since it's an untested/unverified piece of equipment.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Also, I agree with what you stated and I was not anyway going to use the radar/laser technicality in court. I just wanted to know how can you be sure that the laser reading the cop shows you is for your vehicle and not the one for the vehicle before you that he had registered at that speed...

p.s. before jumping the gun and everyone clicking on "like" button to that response, let me go on record here that I am just asking a hypothetical question. not saying that the cop has done it.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I just wanted to know how can you be sure that the laser reading the cop shows you is for your vehicle and not the one for the vehicle before you...
You can't be sure.

Then again, the officer is under no obligation to show you ANYTHING on the side of the road. It would have been easier for him to refuse to show you the lidar set than to make up a story.

I've had plenty of people ask me over the years to see the radar or lidar set display. I always refuse for safety reasons primarily. However, court is not held at the side of the road, but rather in a court room.

vfpeter

You can't be sure.

Then again, the officer is under no obligation to show you ANYTHING on the side of the road. It would have been easier for him to refuse to show you the lidar set than to make up a story.

I've had plenty of people ask me over the years to see the radar or lidar set display. I always refuse for safety reasons primarily. However, court is not held at the side of the road, but rather in a court room.
Thanks Highwayman! I appreciate the insight. I was getting tired of everyone judging me instead of providing some insight.... :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">