• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Splitting...Everything!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pancakes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va but support order is out of CA

I need some advice again - you guys have helped me out so much in the past!

My ex just called, and after a lot of compromising (read: arguing) back and forth, he has stated that he will sign and notarize a paper saying he will split 50/50 daycare expenses, extras etc as long as we don't go back to court. I know he doesn't want to go back because daycare (I believe) is standard to split and his support may increase about $400.

My first thought is...how valid is this agreement? If he actually notarizes it and sends it back, do I submit it to DCSS as proof of his intentions? Do I file it with the courts?

Another is how would I word it so that nothing is left out? I originally had something along the lines of daycare would be split 50/50 and extra-curricular activities would also be split but would not exceed more than four activities a year. I kind of feel like he is trying to pull something over on me but I am not sure what.

I appreciate the help and the time!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It has no validity what-so-ever with regard to child support-type orders.

It *may* have validity if you end up having to sue based on his breach of the agreement.

LdiJ

It has no validity what-so-ever with regard to child support-type orders.

It *may* have validity if you end up having to sue based on his breach of the agreement.
If the state is not involved in deciding the child support amount (no state benefits involved) I cannot see why they cannot come to a stipulated agreement on the involved matters, including child support.

The agreement won't stand forever, but it would stand until someone filed for a modification. My question would be however, is this a parent who can be trusted to pay for things that will not be garnished from their paycheck? Is this a parent who pays their share of medical expenses without any arguments or big delays? If so, it might work. If not, it might fail miserably.

pancakes

Thank you both for the insight.

The state is involved because I requested assistance but I have not received benefits (food stamps, MEDI-CAL, etc) from them. He has a history of paying for a little bit, then slacking off, then paying when he thinks I will go to court. I was hoping the agreement could just be given to the state to be added to the order but I may just have to ask for a review. Court always turns my stomach into knots so I admit I was trying to avoid it probably as much as he was.

I just realized I should have added this to my other thread on it. Sorry! I'll be more conscious of that in the future. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">