• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Splitting Extracurricular Activities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffbrk

Well Misto my sons must be like your daughter - every couple of years their backpack would fall apart and they would need a new one. Other than that? Pens, pads/notebook paper, glue stick and folders were needed. Here and there someone needed colored pencils or crayons but that about covered it. All of $15 a piece.

I don't consider clothing to be a school supply so am also not counting costs for uniforms/school clothes.

tuffbrk

I didn't read how many children are involved here. For all we know the oldest child may have need of their scientific calculator. Or there is the need for more than one calculator, etc. By the time I bought enough binders for all the classes, etc, I easily spent over $60 this year. And I haven't even started on the fees. Regardless, if they have close to a 50/50 split, it is UNREASONABLE for only ONE parent to be responsible for the fees.
You buy new binders every year?!!

Regardless, his half of what she spent was $60 - he gave her $25. The argument is over $35.

The band fees - Dad should have been consulted.

Mom can always give Dad the money for supplies and ask him to take the kiddies school supply shopping....

TinkerBelleLuvr

I had 5 teachers require binders this year - more than we had in the house. Yes, I work the sales, etc. Guess my kid is mean on school bags - need new ones every year. Luckily, the scientific calculator was needed last year so didn't have that expense this year.

mistoffolees

You buy new binders every year?!!

Regardless, his half of what she spent was $60 - he gave her $25. The argument is over $35.

The band fees - Dad should have been consulted.
I agree completely - but even with the band fees, we're talking about $75 that Dad would 'owe'.

Molehill ---->>>> mountain

tuffbrk

About 3 years ago, in conjunction with the PTO, binders were removed from the supplies list. Our schools are so overcrowded that the kids cannot push through the crowds, return to their lockers and then get to class on time.

Thus, they often are carrying materials and supplies on their back for 4-5 periods. The binders just added to the weight they were carrying.

All I could say was "thank you!" Those Trapper-keeper thingamabobs were not just heavy but really pricey and barely used.

blueyesblue

Thanks for the replies. I will see if ex will agree to adding it to the court order but I doubt he will. He used to help with extras but doesn't anymore. I do need help with things like sports or field trips. We each pay for the kids clothes at our own homes. He does provide for them on his time, but leaves the things like school supplies or yearly fees up to me. He's inconsistent with what he will split with me. I never know if he will or won't, sometimes he will pay for all of something and shock me. I never know with him. I would prefer something more guaranteed, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">