• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Abuse 273.5(a)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

for those of you that think think that this message is a farse, the whole thing is true! for those of you who were way too quick to judge, i am not and have never been a substance abuser, I am a highly educated professional, and im way smarter than i came off in my original post. Yes the relationship i have left was homosexual in nature, and as i originally pointed out, highly abusive. I have received a subpoena to appear before a judge in a week and im still confused as to whether or not anyone thinks my ex-partner will get any jail time?! i will definitely advocate for it! what are your thoughts?! taking all angles into consideration!
There is jail time - and even potential prison time (though this is highly unlikely) - associated with a conviction for 273.5. The hard time the state will have will be your past refusal to cooperate and what I suspect the defense will find to be instances of your recanting or making subsequent contradictory statements. The defense will almost certainly paint your testimony as unreliable and you, thus, as a liar.

If found guilty, it is likely he will go to jail, get out on probation, then have to serve at least one year in an anger management program as well. A criminal protective order preventing any contact with you would also be standard fare upon a conviction.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">