• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lookforward

What is the name of your state? IL

I have been married for 10 years and live in Illinois. I am wondering whats the formula. How long does one get alimony

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? IL

I have been married for 10 years and live in Illinois. I am wondering whats the formula. How long does one get alimony

Thanks
Maybe not at all. Maybe for 1/2 the length of the marriage. Depends on a lot of information you have not shared -- incomes of both spouses, assets available, earning potential, education, debts of the marriage,....

Lookforward

Hello its as follows
last year income of both spouses
Wife 185k (MD)
Husband 75k (M.B.A)
No debts

Wife Assets 550k
Husband Assets 650k

Premarital property husband 125k
Gift from parents to husband 400k

Thanks

Lookforward

Thanks, guys just to add i have already told my STBX that i don't want the spousal support and will waive it.

My issue is that my STBX wants everything divided in the middle even the gifts from my parents and pre-marital property which in my opinion is somewhat unfair.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My issue is that my STBX wants everything divided in the middle even the gifts from my parents and pre-marital property which in my opinion is somewhat unfair.
Depends. If those were in any way commingled with marital assets and/or used to purchase marital assets, she may well be entitled.

Lookforward

For one of my account yes the taxes were around 60-100$ a year just a ball park
The house under my sibling and me has no rental income and a document that clearly states my mom transferred and gifted one property to her children

Also curious about the following

Wife 185k (MD)
Husband 75k (Masters)
No debts

Wife Assets 550k in assets
Husband Assets 650k assets

My lawyer suggested that marital property might be divided 50/50 but it might might offset sinse she will pay spousal support
I am just trying to get a different opinion.
Thanks

zddoodah

My lawyer suggested that marital property might be divided 50/50 but it might might offset sinse she will pay spousal support
It's worth pointing out that the overwhelming likelihood is that your divorce will resolve by a mutually agreed settlement that is incorporated into an enforceable divorce decree.

If you don't want alimony and your wife doesn't want to force it on you, then that's that. However, waiving alimony at the outset might be a bad idea because it can be used as a bargaining chip in connection with negotiations to divide marital assets.

Division of assets will be whatever you can mutually agree to.

IF you can't come to an agreement, then the court will, at great expense to you and your wife, divide your marital property in a manner that it deems to be equitable based on a whole bunch of factors that you can find by googling. Gifts that your parents gave only to you should not be part of that division.

Just Blue

For one of my account yes the taxes were around 60-100$ a year just a ball park
The house under my sibling and me has no rental income and a document that clearly states my mom transferred and gifted one property to her children

Also curious about the following

Wife 185k (MD)
Husband 75k (Masters)
No debts

Wife Assets 550k in assets
Husband Assets 650k assets

Thanks
Do you and your wife have children together?

Lookforward

It's worth pointing out that the overwhelming likelihood is that your divorce will resolve by a mutually agreed settlement that is incorporated into an enforceable divorce decree.

However, waiving alimony at the outset might be a bad idea because it can be used as a bargaining chip in connection with negotiations to divide marital assets.

Thanks for your input i did verbally mention it to her a few times that was because initially she said that she would like to keep her asset based on that i said i will waive spousal support, now she wants whatever she can get (as is in most divorce i assume)

My lawyer said the same that we can use that to bargain for other assets just like you said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">