• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal eletion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYfemale

What is the name of your state? NY. My grandmother, who is in the nursing home, has been appointed a legal guardian as she has Alzheimer's disease. This lawyer (the legal guardian) filed spousal election against the estate, which my grandfather willed to me. Now, apparently, my grandfather's will is completely null and void? This is what the estate's lawyer is telling me. Can this be true? The lawyer for the estate told me I needed a lawyer but what do I do if I cant afford one? If I take my grandmother out of the nursing home, will this change the spousal election? I dont know the right terminology. I would like to apply for conservatorship also. Please help.

seniorjudge

NYfemale said:
What is the name of your state? NY. My grandmother, who is in the nursing home, has been appointed a legal guardian as she has Alzheimer's disease. This lawyer (the legal guardian) filed spousal election against the estate, which my grandfather willed to me. Now, apparently, my grandfather's will is completely null and void? This is what the estate's lawyer is telling me. Can this be true? The lawyer for the estate told me I needed a lawyer but what do I do if I cant afford one? If I take my grandmother out of the nursing home, will this change the spousal election? I dont know the right terminology. I would like to apply for conservatorship also. Please help.
Give us a clue what you are talking about.

Is grandpa dead?

Was there a will?

Is there a probate estate?

pojo2

NYfemale said:
If I take my grandmother out of the nursing home, will this change the spousal election? I dont know the right terminology. I would like to apply for conservatorship also. Please help.
So you would take your g-mother out of a facility where she is being cared for so you can get your hands on the estate? I am sorry but these couple of sentences tells all about what your after!

I do not know what "spousal election" is but I bet it has something to do with g-pa not being allowed to skip over g-ma and give you everything as long as she is still alive!

Also from what I read into your posts, convince me I am wrong, thank god g-ma has someone looking out for her interests!

BlondiePB

If I take my grandmother out of the nursing home, will this change the spousal election?
If you take your grandmother out of the nursing home, the guardian has every legal right to have you arrested for kidnapping, and it WILL NOT change the spousal elective. Thank goodness YOU were NOT appointed granny's guardian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">