• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SR22 Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am required to have sr22 for 3 years once I get my license back. I have also been reading though, that in order to register your vehicle, you have to show proof of sr22 or the DMV will suspend your registration until you show proof.

Here's my problem. I own a car, but am moving and will not be driving it (or any car) for the next 2 years. I am canceling the insurance on the vehicle and plan to register it with the DMV as non-operational. Even though it's registered as non-op, it is technically still registered (I just can't drive it). And since I found out online that the DMV suspends any registration if you don't show proof of sr22, what do I do?

I'm not going to get an sr22 and the insurance that comes with it when I am absolutely not going to be driving. I've seen that you can get non-OWNER sr22, but nothing about a non-driver sr22.

FlyingRon

They sell non-owner SR-22. The assumption is that once you have a license, you will drive even if you don't own a car. You must show financial responsibility.

Isis1

lol, nevermind. You clearly didn't read my post.
only because i was on this situation, will i answer. depending on the terms of your probation, it is quite possible you maintaining insurance was required, driving or not. regardless if the car is registered non-op, you will still have to have insurance. if not, your driver's license will stay suspended, your registration will be voided, and/or you will get a violation for the terms of your probation.

go check your paperwork.

heyitsme

only because i was on this situation, will i answer. depending on the terms of your probation, it is quite possible you maintaining insurance was required, driving or not. regardless if the car is registered non-op, you will still have to have insurance. if not, your driver's license will stay suspended, your registration will be voided, and/or you will get a violation for the terms of your probation.

go check your paperwork.
It doesn't matter for me....meaning, it's not part of my paperwork or any probation terms. And yeah, I know in order to have my license valid I have to carry an sr22, but I don't care about my license being valid because I'm not going to be driving.

But either way, I already found out the answer to my question from asking some other people and the DMV. Basically I can still register my car as non-op even if I don't have an sr22. An sr22 is only tied to insurance purposes and to validate your license. If I'm not going to be driving my car, or any car, I don't need insurance and thus don't need an sr22. Since I would be registering my car as non-op, the DMV obviously knows I'm not going to be driving it. The sr22 is only to show financial responsiblity when it comes to having proper insurance. Since I don't need insurance, I thus don't need an sr22 since I will be registering my car non-op.

I appreciate the reply though :)

gino77

you may just have to bite the bullet and get the SR22 insurance... You dont want to give the legal system any leverage against you...

woodykas

An sr22 is only tied to insurance purposes and to validate your license. If I'm not going to be driving my car, or any car, I don't need insurance and thus don't need an sr22. Since I would be registering my car as non-op, the DMV obviously knows I'm not going to be driving it. The sr22 is only to show financial responsiblity when it comes to having proper insurance. Since I don't need insurance, I thus don't need an sr22 since I will be registering my car non-op.

I appreciate the reply though :)
easy way - just exchange your drivers license to state ID card for 2 years. that is all.

Antigone*

you may just have to bite the bullet and get the SR22 insurance... You dont want to give the legal system any leverage against you...
Wow Gino ~ applaud, applaud, applaud. You posted to a dead thread:rolleyes:

Having a little trouble finding anything more current:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">