• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS Disability Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Mike

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

I am currently a almost 58 year old Airline Captain. Mandatory retirement age is 60 right now. In 1998 I underwent Heart Bypass Surgery x5. After the operation I had to wait six months to reapply for my FAA First Class Medical. Due to a complication (plugged bypasses x2) the FAA will not certify me to fly again. I am on Airline Pilot Disability through my airline and will be until I officially retire at age 60.

Two years ago I applied for SS Disability. They got all the medical records etc. etc. They denied my application and said I could have learned a new job. (Yea, right, not making 200 bucks an hour as I was making before) I have flown airplanes since I was 16 years old and that is all I know how to do. I gave them a letter from the FAA doctors denying my medical to fly again. SS still denied me. I appealed the decision.

It took 1.5 years but now I have the appeal back and they want me to send in additional medical records showing my disability. There are no "additional" records. Only the letter from the Union Doctors saying I can't get qualified due to my heart problem.

I am not sure I want to even pursue this as maybe at this time it just isn't worth the trouble. Seem funny that the FAA, a branch of our government says I am too sick to fly yet another branch of our government the SSA says I am not disabled. I guess a person has to be flat on their back and can't even flip tacos to be qualified under the rules of the SSA.

Anyone have any experience with this particular problem. Not sure if going to an attorney would net me any good or not. Might cost me money and get no return anyway.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

Two years ago I applied for SS Disability. They got all the medical records etc. etc. They denied my application and said I could have learned a new job. (Yea, right, not making 200 bucks an hour as I was making before) I have flown airplanes since I was 16 years old and that is all I know how to do. I gave them a letter from the FAA doctors denying my medical to fly again. SS still denied me. I appealed the decision.
For Social Security Disability, you have to be unable to work any job. Since you could do other jobs, you don't qualify. That fact that those jobs don't pay as much as flying is irrelevant.

I am not sure I want to even pursue this as maybe at this time it just isn't worth the trouble. Seem funny that the FAA, a branch of our government says I am too sick to fly yet another branch of our government the SSA says I am not disabled.
The FAA has different standards because they have different purposes. You can't fly a plane, but you can do other jobs. There are desk jobs that you could do.

I guess a person has to be flat on their back and can't even flip tacos to be qualified under the rules of the SSA.
Pretty much.

Just Mike

I do know another pilot that was in the exact same position I am in about 12 years ago. They denied him also. He hired an attorney and appealed it and they awarded him disability. It took him about four years to get it all done however. I just don't think that at my age it would be worth it now I guess. I probably would have never filed in the first place but the airline forced me to. If I had gotten a disability it would be subtracted from what the airline pays me. I guess my 90 grand a year tax free is more than most people would expect on disability. I am basically after the medicaire and not the money.

BlondiePB

I do know another pilot that was in the exact same position I am in about 12 years ago. They denied him also. He hired an attorney and appealed it and they awarded him disability. It took him about four years to get it all done however. I just don't think that at my age it would be worth it now I guess. I probably would have never filed in the first place but the airline forced me to. If I had gotten a disability it would be subtracted from what the airline pays me. I guess my 90 grand a year tax free is more than most people would expect on disability. I am basically after the medicaire and not the money.
Buy your own insurance. Pay for it by paying yourself for being a Trustee. Don't wait until the settlor passes to pay yourself.

Just Mike

Buy your own insurance. Pay for it by paying yourself for being a Trustee. Don't wait until the settlor passes to pay yourself.

While I was still actively flying the airline offered what is called "long term disability insurance". It is paid 1/2 by the airline and 1/2 by the pilots themselves. Most pilots as did I enrolled in it. That is what pays my disability. It is based strictly on whether a pilot can or can not qualify for an FAA first class medical certificate.

I have no clue as to what your comment about being paid for being a trustee for a trust has to do with the question I asked about SS Disability. Since I am the "trustee" of a "living trust" of which I asked several questions about in a different thread is a different subject altogether I don't understand your statement about that in this entirely different subject.

BlondiePB

It is based strictly on whether a pilot can or can not qualify for an FAA first class medical certificate.

I have no clue as to what your comment about being paid for being a trustee for a trust has to do with the question I asked about SS Disability. Since I am the "trustee" of a "living trust" of which I asked several questions about in a different thread is a different subject altogether I don't understand your statement about that in this entirely different subject.
It is prudent for those who answer posters to check the posters other threads, Just Mike. Checking those posts provides info that can assist with replies. Had you stated the following in this thread:
While I was still actively flying the airline offered what is called "long term disability insurance". It is paid 1/2 by the airline and 1/2 by the pilots themselves. Most pilots as did I enrolled in it. That is what pays my disability.
you would have received a different answer from me.

Now, if you want to discuss the trust in another or one of the other threads, that's fine with me. Waiting until the settlor passes to pay yourself can result in you going on a very unpleasant flight. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">