• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD and bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VG1013

What is the name of your state? NY

My father in law is retired and on SSD (social security disability). He and his wife want to file for bankruptcy, they have alot of CC's they just can't manage anymore. They don't own a home, they really don't have any assets to speak of, all they have is a car worth about $2000. Their not sure which way to go, chapter 7 or chapter 13? My father in law is worried about his SSD if he claims bankruptcy...could anything happen to that if he does claim bankruptcy? Thanks to all:)

HomeGuru

VG1013 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My father in law is retired and on SSD (social security disability). He and his wife want to file for bankruptcy, they have alot of CC's they just can't manage anymore. They don't own a home, they really don't have any assets to speak of, all they have is a car worth about $2000. Their not sure which way to go, chapter 7 or chapter 13? My father in law is worried about his SSD if he claims bankruptcy...could anything happen to that if he does claim bankruptcy? Thanks to all:)
**A: if they have nothing of value to save then they should file a 7.

VG1013

Re: Re: SSD and bankruptcy?

HomeGuru said:
**A: if they have nothing of value to save then they should file a 7.
~~~Thank you Guru...your the best! ;) But you didn't tell me if claiming bankruptcy would affect his SSD???? lol

HomeGuru

You can ask me that when we get together this weekend.
I would gladly talk to you about benefits and show you the real benefit.

VG1013

HomeGuru said:
You can ask me that when we get together this weekend.
I would gladly talk to you about benefits and show you the real benefit.
~~~LMAO...ok, your on! Forget the talking...just show me the real benefit. lol

T

Tomray

Hey ladynred,

I live in the Nashville area and I listen to Dave Ramey quite a bit. It sure sounds like all these folks with money problems should give a listen. What do you think???

Ladynred

Dave Ramsey's offices are only a few blocks from where I work. I've only heard his show once, its not on at a time of day I can listen. His show is OK, he's better than that ditz Suze Orman, but most of the people who come here are beyond the help that Dave Ramsey preaches. Post-bankruptcy they might benefit.

C

cyana

I listen to Suze...

ONLY for post bk financial advice. Much of what she says about bk 7 is dead wrong. A couple months ago she actually advised a soon to be divorced woman to order a copy of her ex's credit report before she declared bankruptcy! (Her husband had left her about six months before with all the bills) My mother watches this show occasionally as well and she was apalled by Suze's answer -she even suggested I write a letter to Suze Orman. Sorry Suze...although I know my ex's SSN better than he does along with the correct spelling of his mother's very foreign maiden name, I'm not willing to be fined or go to jail for fraudulently obtaining someone else's credit report.

VG ... your FIL will be just fine with C7. I'm on SSD, too, and collect disability benefits get my former company as well and I had no problems with my C7.

I'm not sure how judgments work in NY but there's a possibility with no assets he could be "judgment proof".

VG1013

HomeGuru said:
VG1013 said:
~~~HAHAHAHA...you are something else Guru. I do like a man that knows what he wants.

**A: ok, I'll email you my list of wants, needs, desires and fantasies.
~~~You go for it baby...and then I will email you all of mine. Just one thing though...how much can you endure?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">