• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eekamouse

I knew where she worked because it was on her facebook profile and she had worked there for years. A friend of mine worked at a place near there and posted about a job opening on facebook, I needed a job so I asked her if it was cool if I worked there and like I said before got no response. I decided to just say **** it and take it even though I knew she wouldn't want me working there. A part of me did do it out of spite of not receiving any kind of acknowledgement. Not saying I did the right thing but that was my mentality at the time. Can't judge until you've walked in someone else's shoes.
Well, your excuse of "mentality at the time" is going to lead to your ruin because she WILL get the protection order and that WILL stay on your record for anyone to see when they do a background check on you. I hope you know that no matter what explanation you offer to potential employers about this incident in your past, you aren't going to be able to explain it away. This behavior of yours makes you look pretty creepy, dude, and society as a whole tends to shy away from the creepy element. :D

Jst42

Well, your excuse of "mentality at the time" is going to lead to your ruin because she WILL get the protection order and that WILL stay on your record for anyone to see when they do a background check on you. I hope you know that no matter what explanation you offer to potential employers about this incident in your past, you aren't going to be able to explain it away. This behavior of yours makes you look pretty creepy, dude, and society as a whole tends to shy away from the creepy element. :D
Who said I was making excuses for anything? I already said I was agreeing to everything in the restraining order which is a civil litigation. My hearing is taking place at a small claims court, not criminal, I honestly doubt I'll be charged with any crime since I was never arrested for anything and never physically harmed or threatened the plaintiff.

Eekamouse

Who said I was making excuses for anything? I already said I was agreeing to everything in the restraining order which is a civil litigation. My hearing is taking place at a small claims court, not criminal, I honestly doubt I'll be charged with any crime since I was never arrested for anything and never physically harmed or threatened the plaintiff.
You DO know, though, that this protection order is going to follow you and WILL show up on a background check when you apply for employment, right? Do you think it won't matter? Guess again.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I knew where she worked because it was on her facebook profile and she had worked there for years. A friend of mine worked at a place near there and posted about a job opening on facebook, I needed a job so I asked her if it was cool if I worked there and like I said before got no response. I decided to just say **** it and take it even though I knew she wouldn't want me working there. A part of me did do it out of spite of not receiving any kind of acknowledgement. Not saying I did the right thing but that was my mentality at the time. Can't judge until you've walked in someone else's shoes.
Certainly shows your compassion and empathy. :rolleyes:

Were you high then, too?

CdwJava

No, the hearing is NOT taking place in "Small Claims Court." The hearing is taking place in Superior Court on a non-criminal matter. As long as you adhere to all the conditions that are put into place, you should be able to avoid any criminal charges.

As mentioned before, do not communicate with this woman in any way, and stay away from her - FAR AWAY - as best as you can. Even accidentally coming within 100 yards or whatever distance you will be required to remain away and can result in an arrest.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Dude, you come on a legal advice board, people with actual experience with the law like CdwJava give you sane, sound, advice.

And what do you do? You're all like, "but I didn't do anything wrong, you should chill and agree with me."

But we're sane, and not high as a kite, so no, we don't agree with you.

You are not a compassionate person: someone told you she didn't want to hear from you, and you refuse to give that any weight.
You are not an empathetic person: you have so little understanding of how you freaked this woman out, that you refuse to take seriously that the rest of world could take it seriously.

No one here can reassure you that you will be facing a minimal inconvenience because legally, THAT'S NOT LIKELY.

Sure, *if* you abide by whatever terms are tossed in your direction, you'll avoid criminal charges. But you show no inclination to do so - you'll probably do something stupid like text her asking her to meet you for closure within a week of any restraining order. (Whereas a SANE person would have blocked her on FB, etc., the moment a complaint of any sort was filed and stayed the $%# away.) IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT YOU DON'T THINK YOU ARE THREATENING. It matters that SHE feels threatened by your behavior - not whether you intended it to be threatening.

A restraining order is something YOU DO NOT WANT ON YOUR RECORD. The consequences of violating a restraining order you REALLY DON'T WANT ON YOUR RECORD. It will hound you and dog you and cause all sorts of inconveniences in your future.

Jst42

You DO know, though, that this protection order is going to follow you and WILL show up on a background check when you apply for employment, right? Do you think it won't matter? Guess again.
I'll have it expunged. Taken from the front page of google:
I do not think that a restraining order would be picked up in most routine background checks that employers conduct. It is not a criminal record per se. However, each employer is free to determine the extent of its background check. A very rigorous one might uncover it.
No, the hearing is NOT taking place in "Small Claims Court." The hearing is taking place in Superior Court on a non-criminal matter. As long as you adhere to all the conditions that are put into place, you should be able to avoid any criminal charges.

As mentioned before, do not communicate with this woman in any way, and stay away from her - FAR AWAY - as best as you can. Even accidentally coming within 100 yards or whatever distance you will be required to remain away and can result in an arrest.
This is a no brainer, of course I will be staying the hell away from her.

Jst42

Dude, you come on a legal advice board, people with actual experience with the law like CdwJava give you sane, sound, advice.

And what do you do? You're all like, "but I didn't do anything wrong, you should chill and agree with me."

But we're sane, and not high as a kite, so no, we don't agree with you.

You are not a compassionate person: someone told you she didn't want to hear from you, and you refuse to give that any weight.
You are not an empathetic person: you have so little understanding of how you freaked this woman out, that you refuse to take seriously that the rest of world could take it seriously.

No one here can reassure you that you will be facing a minimal inconvenience because legally, THAT'S NOT LIKELY.

Sure, *if* you abide by whatever terms are tossed in your direction, you'll avoid criminal charges. But you show no inclination to do so - you'll probably do something stupid like text her asking her to meet you for closure within a week of any restraining order. (Whereas a SANE person would have blocked her on FB, etc., the moment a complaint of any sort was filed and stayed the $%# away.) IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT YOU DON'T THINK YOU ARE THREATENING. It matters that SHE feels threatened by your behavior - not whether you intended it to be threatening.

A restraining order is something YOU DO NOT WANT ON YOUR RECORD. The consequences of violating a restraining order you REALLY DON'T WANT ON YOUR RECORD. It will hound you and dog you and cause all sorts of inconveniences in your future.
Wow, LOL. When did I say I didn't do anything wrong and asked people to "agree with me"? All I did was give more details on the situation to those who asked. Did you even bother to read anything that I posted before going on this tirade?

Eekamouse

I'll have it expunged. Taken from the front page of google:
I do not think that a restraining order would be picked up in most routine background checks that employers conduct. It is not a criminal record per se. However, each employer is free to determine the extent of its background check. A very rigorous one might uncover it.

This is a no brainer, of course I will be staying the hell away from her.
It WILL show up on background checks. Public record and all that. You really think you can just waive your hand and this will all go away because you want it to, don't you? OK. I'm sure you're absolutely right. It's possible this is not your first rodeo and you've had other restraining orders filed against you and you successfully had it expunged. Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Well, since you seem to have a handle on what is going to happen, you really didn't need to come and ask questions here. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Jst42

It WILL show up on background checks. Public record and all that. You really think you can just waive your hand and this will all go away because you want it to, don't you? OK. I'm sure you're absolutely right. It's possible this is not your first rodeo and you've had other restraining orders filed against you and you successfully had it expunged. Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Well, since you seem to have a handle on what is going to happen, you really didn't need to come and ask questions here. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D
Anything else?

CdwJava

A potential employer who does a routine search of a county's website and runs your name will find that order. Unless your county has no web presence for involved parties in court actions, it is an easy thing to uncover. But, you are correct, many employers will conduct little or no real background check. However the GOOD employers - those with the better paying jobs and career positions - are more likely to make a more probing inquiry than, say, a minimum wage position.

Jst42

You think this is just going to be swept away like it never happened? Oh, child. You have so much to learn.

:cool:
I really appreciate your concern for my well being but I think I'm gonna be ok ;)
A potential employer who does a routine search of a county's website and runs your name will find that order. Unless your county has no web presence for involved parties in court actions, it is an easy thing to uncover. But, you are correct, many employers will conduct little or no real background check. However the GOOD employers - those with the better paying jobs and career positions - are more likely to make a more probing inquiry than, say, a minimum wage position.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if it drops off a background check altogether once the restraining order expires if it is not permanent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">