• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

state line question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tornado88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois/Missouri

Quick question for a friend. I know third party questions are frowned upon so I will understand if you do not want to answer.

I have a friend who lives in St. Louis Mo. Her family lives just across the river in East St. louis Illinois. She has left her husband and plans on filing for divorce this week. The couple have a set of twins that are two years old. She has left the family home with the girls and moved in with her parents. Even though she is less than 20 miles away from from the family home can the fact that she crossed the state border cause her any problems now or even later as they are discussing parenting plans?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois/Missouri

Quick question for a friend. I know third party questions are frowned upon so I will understand if you do not want to answer.

I have a friend who lives in St. Louis Mo. Her family lives just across the river in East St. louis Illinois. She has left her husband and plans on filing for divorce this week. The couple have a set of twins that are two years old. She has left the family home with the girls and moved in with her parents. Even though she is less than 20 miles away from from the family home can the fact that she crossed the state border cause her any problems now or even later as they are discussing parenting plans?
Possibly...but not all that likely. In metropolitan areas like that, where major metropolitan areas encompass multiple states, judges tend to view crossing state lines less seriously than in other situations. Jurisdiction of course will be in Missouri and that is where your friend will need to file for divorce. However the fact that she is currently residing in East St Louis likely won't cause her much grief, if any.

tornado88

Thank you for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. I felt the same way as you but was just not sure. She has an appointment with a lawyer on Thursday and is worried. Her husband is throwing threats around about taking the children from her because she crossed state lines. I have learned a lot from reading and lerking here but just didn't trust my answer. Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">