• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent/Second Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westanza

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

1. In California, a person must be married to or have a domestic partnership with the parent in order to carry out a stepparent/second parent adoption, correct? If not, please explain.

2. Are there any states where a person doesn't have to be married to or have domestic partnership with the parent in order to carry out a stepparent/second parent adoption? If yes, where and what are the requirements?

Thank you

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

1. In California, a person must be married to or have a domestic partnership with the parent in order to carry out a stepparent/second parent adoption, correct? If not, please explain.

2. Are there any states where a person doesn't have to be married to or have domestic partnership with the parent in order to carry out a stepparent/second parent adoption? If yes, where and what are the requirements?

Thank you
i hate to break some news to you, but that sounds alot like homework. or worse, forum shopping. no one here is going to hunt all 50 states for the information you seek.

as far as CA goes, you have to be married. at least that is what i've read. but i'm still looking. i'm still trying to figure out how Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt got around that.

westanza

as far as CA goes, you have to be married. at least that is what i've read. but i'm still looking. i'm still trying to figure out how Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt got around that.
Thank you, Isis. I've done searches for this information but have not found anything.

Proserpina

i hate to break some news to you, but that sounds alot like homework. or worse, forum shopping. no one here is going to hunt all 50 states for the information you seek.

Theirs wasn't a step-parent adoption... ;)

(in the legal sense)

Isis1

Theirs wasn't a step-parent adoption... ;)

(in the legal sense)
yeah, i know. that's why i'm confused how that happened. two single people adoption isn't on the books as far as i've read.

or was it just a name change? that's the only thing i can figure out.

Proserpina

yeah, i know. that's why i'm confused how that happened. two single people adoption isn't on the books as far as i've read.

or was it just a name change? that's the only thing i can figure out.
I'm sorry - I was being quite pedantic and I probably shouldn't have been :eek:

They weren't married, thus no step-parent adoption :p

But here we go:

How do I adopt a child if I'm not the child's stepparent or the domestic partner of the child's parent?

It depends. There are three types of adoptions when you are not the spouse or domestic partner of the child's parent:

* Agency adoption: when the Department of Social Services or a licensed adoption agency is part of the adoption case.

* Independent adoption: when no adoption agency or the Department of Social Services is part of the adoption case.

* International adoption: when the child to be adopted is born in another country.

Remember, if you are not married to the child's birth parent or you are not the child's parent's domestic partner, you have to do an agency, independent or international adoption. If you are a single person trying to adopt, you also have to do an agency, independent or international adoption.

(from http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/adoption/stepadoptqna-1.htm#3 )

westanza

I don't know if I need to start another thread to ask this question but here goes:

Now that we know that a second parent adoption in CA uses the independent adoption procedure, what is that procedure and requirements?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I don't know if I need to start another thread to ask this question but here goes:

Now that we know that a second parent adoption in CA uses the independent adoption procedure, what is that procedure and requirements?

Thank you in advance.
You'd be best advised to speak with an adoption attorney - this isn't something you want to do yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">