• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

steps to take

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJenkins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oh

I was young, dumb and got in over my head when I was 19 years old. I never lived in one place more than a few months, but I was sued for a vehicle repo and since I never received notice (I dont even know where they sent it), it was a default judgement against me in the amount of 3975. This was in 2001.

Fast forward-

I never thought twice about the debt since I was never contacted and it never caused me credit issues. My wages have been garnished to the tune of 12000 dollars due to the 22% interest. Obviously this has caught me by suprise.

Now that I am older/wiser and have taken on my responsibility, I need to know what my options are and have some questions

1- obviously, I have no issue paying the debt as it is mine. Anyway that I could negotiate maybe paying more a month than the 400 their garnishing now to have them drop off the interest? In fact, I may be able to pay off the entire original judgement.

2- How can I find out if I was properly served and anyway to reverse the default judgement?

I am trying to find out the best route. I have been trying to remain responsible with previous bills that I messed up when I was going through school. My total debt is around 80k and that includes school loans(61k) that I will be starting on soon. Is bankruptcy my best option right now? I know that student loans can't be included, but what about judgements?

thanks

MrJenkins

anyone have any advice on this before I start on my journey?

I am really worried I';ll be stuck paying 8k in interest on something that was originally 4k

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">