• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stopping child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clo12

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello all again. I am the NCP currently divorced and paying child support thru the state. Can my ex-wife and I legally stop the child support payments thru the state, we have come to an agreement and would like to continue support but via other means?

Thank you in advance for your free advice... :)

Zephyr

that is not a good idea....many have done that and then showed back up here asking if their ex can really take them to court for nonpayment even though they have been paying the whole time.....having the state handle the money protects you both

clo12

that is not a good idea....many have done that and then showed back up here asking if their ex can really take them to court for nonpayment even though they have been paying the whole time.....having the state handle the money protects you both
Thanks Zephyr, good point and i agree, anything is can happen. But if our decision would be to take the first option, is it legally possible? Does anyone know what documents we need to send the CSE closure coordinator?

Gracie3787

Thanks Zephyr, good point and i agree, anything is can happen. But if our decision would be to take the first option, is it legally possible? Does anyone know what documents we need to send the CSE closure coordinator?
The FL DOR CSE will not normally close a case like you are wanting. They know, as zephyr has said, that an existing order paid through them protects the child, the parents AND the state.

You can speak to your caseworker about closing the case, but, don't expect them to be willing to do so.

For your sake, I hope that they refuse to, there are many reason to pay through the state, and not one single good reason for not doing so since the order already exists.

Out of curiosity, what are the reasons that you and ex want your case closed?

clo12

The FL DOR CSE will not normally close a case like you are wanting. They know, as zephyr has said, that an existing order paid through them protects the child, the parents AND the state.

You can speak to your caseworker about closing the case, but, don't expect them to be willing to do so.

For your sake, I hope that they refuse to, there are many reason to pay through the state, and not one single good reason for not doing so since the order already exists.

Out of curiosity, what are the reasons that you and ex want your case closed?
Gracie3787, thanks for your input. To make the long story short i have been paying 100% of my sons support for about 3 years now. When support was determined 3 years ago, CP stated she was not working and not collecting unemployment. NO income was imputed, 0. At that specific time she was fighting a case with her employer for a wrongful termination, she won the case a few months after the child support meeting, and had her employment re-instated as well as got a lump sum check for the months she went without work. So technically, she was always employed, to this day. (by the way she was collecting unemployment, she is just not sure if she was at the time of our child support meeting.) And my child support and arrears is outrageous, not to mention unfair...so, we are in good terms and speak regularly, we want to come to an agreement.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

Gracie3787, thanks for your input. To make the long story short i have been paying 100% of my sons support for about 3 years now. When support was determined 3 years ago, CP stated she was not working and not collecting unemployment. NO income was imputed, 0. At that specific time she was fighting a case with her employer for a wrongful termination, she won the case a few months after the child support meeting, and had her employment re-instated as well as got a lump sum check for the months she went without work. So technically, she was always employed, to this day. (by the way she was collecting unemployment, she is just not sure if she was at the time of our child support meeting.) And my child support and arrears is outrageous, not to mention unfair...so, we are in good terms and speak regularly, we want to come to an agreement.
A better way to do this is for you, or ex, to file for a modification. You can present the agreement to the court. If the Judge feels that the amount you agree to is in the child's best interests, it should be granted. Actually, if you live in a county that requires mediation before a hearing, this can be done in mediation, which makes it alot easier and faster.
Doing a modification instead of trying to have the case closed is really the only way to do what you want to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">