• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sub-leaser backed out at last minute, can I sue for two months rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tony199

Discussion (written or otherwise) about intent to enter a contract isn't entering a contract unless some other aspect occurs (him paying you rent or a deposit, him actually moving in, etc...).
I have met the sub-letter before. He asked me if he could move a few things in before the re-leasing process was completed. I met with him and helped him carry two boxes, a rug, and a mini-fridge into my room, which would stay there until he moved in. Does this count for anything?

Also, I had already moved out a week early, and he needed to be in the area for his job, so he moved into the apartment June 3rd and just slept on the couch until the room was inspected and he could officially move in. He was able to do this because his friend is sub-letting my roommate's room, and his friend let him in the apartment early.

Again, thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">