• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suggestions for proof?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denverb

What is the name of your state? minnesota

I’m hoping for some advice here. My ex thinks she needs more money. Along with the motion that she filed she attached “proof” of her daycare expenses. This consisted of several pieces of paper typed from her computer that said this:

--------------------------------------
July
5 weeks x $125/week = $625

Jane Doe
Signature here
--------------------------------------

Of the several papers a couple of them had been submitted at the previous hearing (5 months ago) but didn’t matter because she was on daycare assistance and I paid a portion of the set amount of that.

This time she had the couple from before and then 5 others from the month in between now and then. There is one name that shows up on every sheet and is the only name for the past couple months (apparently she had different people sometime – not really sure what it’s all about because she’s got licensed daycare people listed and students listed but doesn’t distinguish what took place when). Anyways, this name that is listed several times – two of the pages have her signature. The other 5 pages have a COMPLETELY different signature for the same girl. So I’m pretty sure my ex is forging the signature – she has done it to me which is documented in a police report (couldn’t press charged because no loss was actually committed). I have no idea who this girl is to contact her (she’s not listed in the phone book – my ex has her listed as a student) and ask her flat out about it.

Also, her most recent ex told me that she is telling him that she has someone come into her home for $300/week for 4 kids (only 1 is mine). This is a far cry from the $125/week she is claiming to pay for each of them ($1200 vs. $2000 for a 4 week month)

We go to court next month. So my question to you is this – what do I ask the magistrate have her provide as proof that can’t be easily manipulated by my ex? Cancelled checks? Official receipt (whatever that may be)? any suggestions?

Also she is only working part time – 25 hours per week. Once school starts on sept.1st child will be in school from 9-3:30. her place of employment is open from 8-5 – leaving little time for daycare expenses. So I plan to also ask for proof of her actual hours worked compared to supposed daycare hours.

I certainly have no problem paying my portion of the daycare – I just don’t want my ex to be able to say she’s spending an amount that she’s not and get more money that she not supposed to get (she just filed bankruptcy - $80,000 credit card debt on “stuff” – not anything that was life or death!)

denverb

thanks for the reply.

how does that help me? just to see who the person is or is there a way to check income with that (not necessarily me personally but perhaps the child support officer)?

supposedly the daycare person now is just a student (i'm assuming high school?) so they wouldn't have a daycare license or tax id. any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Whyte Noise

A tax ID number would be the same as person's Social Security Number. That's what they would use to file a tax return under if they're a private citizen (like a student that's babysitting). An actual Tax ID Number would be what a licensed daycare provider would use for tax purposes.

nextwife

And perhaps ask for a copy of the total bill. If the sitter is watching 4 of her kids at once, your portion should be a proportionate share based on your one child. So if she charges a total of $500/mo. for all three, your share should be $125/mo, for example

LdiJ

I would also ad that the child is going to need both before school care and after school care if the mother works 8-5. In my community that normally runs about half what full time care costs. So don't expect it to go by "hours".

If it helps we actually went to the Court before our hearing and got a supoena for all child care records including but not limited to cancelled checks, because in our state although you can't use state assistance against (this is for lack of a better word) another party one party also cannot be charged for expenses a party does not in cur. For example her original cost sheet said $600 rent $500 child care blah food blah bills. Anyway we knew she had state assistance for all this although we couldn't get the records she also couldn't prove she paid that amount so it did help. Good luck

denverb

thank you for all the replies. they were helpful and i'll see what i can do.

by the way - the mother does not work 8-5.......that's when the store is open. she only works 25 hours per week. which is why i want to know exactly what hours she is working because that could mean 5 hours for 5 days (which could all occur during school hours so there would be NO daycare!) or she could work all day one day and partial days the rest. who knows. that's why i want some proof! this woman is evil..........

thanks again for the replies. if anyone thinks of anything else definitely let me know!

T

tigger2two

you mentioned a child support officer? They have to verify all of the information that you and her submit before setting any amount to be paid. So if she turned in these daycare papers not only will CSE ask for the tax id but they also call these daycares to verify the cost, the times the child is there and so on. I'm not sure about your state but in NC it has to be an actual daycare provider not a babysitter. Meaning they have to have a tax ID and be licensed by the state in order for the CP to use that in their CS claim against the NCP.

denverb

yeah i've talked to the child support officer. she said the information that i was seeking i'd have to request from the magistrate when we went to court - probably because a court date was already set up by my ex which basically went over the cs officer's head. so i was looking for what exactly i should ask for so i get legitimate proof. i'll have to check into the licensed daycare provider only thing - even if we don't have the law maybe i can get the magistrate to require her to use one so proof of costs is easier. when she was on daycare assistance they would only pay for a licensed provider but since she decided to go off of the assistance she thinks she can do whatever she wants. thanks for the info!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">