• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suicide Attempts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheTotalPackage

What is the name of your state? Maryland and Virginia

My brother and I have had a debate for the better part of the day, due to the recent occurrences with Terrell Owens, the Wide Reciever for the Dallas Cowboys. He was rumored to have taken an overdose of painkillers in an attempt to kill himself. It now, apparently appears that a simple allergic reaction was overblown by the media because TO is who he is. However, my brother and I have been arguing over whether an attempted suicide is considered a criminal act and punishable by jail time, etc.

Anyone have their answers?

xylene

Attempting suicide can subject a person to involuntary confinement in a mental hospital with mandatory 'hold' periods depending on the state.

xylene

right. one of us said that. but is that considered more of a mental health situation or is it criminal?
That is really going to depend on the state whether such confinments fall to criminal law oe public health law or mental hygine law...

If you are asking will somene be tried and suffer punishments (not hospitalization) as a result:

I am confident it is not happening

Whether or not arcane statutes exist criminalizing suicide is another matter.

I could imagine many situations where a suicide attempt would have serious consequences under civil law.

CdwJava

I am not aware of any state that makes it a criminal act to attempt suicide. As far as I know they are all treated as a mental health and/or a civil matter and NOT criminal. Aiding a suicide attempt is a different issue.

- carl

gawm

I am not aware of any state that makes it a criminal act to attempt suicide. As far as I know they are all treated as a mental health and/or a civil matter and NOT criminal. Aiding a suicide attempt is a different issue.

- carl
Yes...just ask Dr. Kevorkian.:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">