• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Dad for College Money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlemon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hey everyone

Anyways when my mom and dad divorced, on the papers my dads agreement was to pay 25,000 in the first 2 years of college and then another 25,000 in the other 2 years of college.

When I was in high school hearing this made me stop caring so much about getting into college knowing I wouldnt be able to get in the school I could go into unless I have the money or take a loan in which I did not want to do.

Anyways not wanting to take out a loan and balancing my budget, I planned to go to community college in the first 2 years and be able to go to a nice university in the next 2.

For the 1st year I had a GPA of 3.4 and my dad only sent me 5,000.
I thought my Dad was going to give me 20,000 in the next year so I wasnt that bummed out...and considering I didnt need that much for cc.

So now on my 2nd year of community college and almost ending my 1st semester, my Dad only gives me 2,500.....
I was shocked to find out......My dad claims hes only makes 20,000 in divorce papers...but hes living in a high security apartment complex with a lot of celebs....has a black american express card...i call BS.Investment banker that does projects like skype etc..

Im just bummed what to do now....If I knew my dad was going to not keep his word....I would of done something totally different with my life after high school. At least worked a full time job saving money for college.

Since it is in the divorce papers and is an agreement, I was just wondering what actions I can take.. I asked my mom and she says its your problem now..... (she is very stressed about the divorce)...but still it was dissapointing to know that I have no parent to turn to even for advice.

I told my Dad thats straight up BS, how u cant keep ur word thats on the PAPERS. If I need to Sue him I will.
Im getting tired of playing games with him. Im over this whole divorce drama.
I just want what i can from my Dad and get my college money and move on with my life.

For example, with that 25,000 in the first 2 years. I can easily put that money in a CD and grow interest on it so I can be more comfortable but my DAD cant keep his word on a simple agreement.

Anyways I need to do something about this situation instead of just sitting around. Is there a lawyer I can contact for free? Do i contact my grandparents?
I just dont know what to do......

Isis1

oh. my. god. kid. really. at the age of 18, you are responsible for your OWN education and income. your dad is no longer legally responsible for you. ever.

mistoffolees

Since it is in the divorce papers and is an agreement, I was just wondering what actions I can take.. I asked my mom and she says its your problem now..... (she is very stressed about the divorce)...but still it was dissapointing to know that I have no parent to turn to even for advice.
You're out of luck.

YOU are not a party to the divorce, so you have no grounds to sue.

Your mother could go to court to have the divorce decree enforced, but you can't. (and it's also none of your business how much money your dad makes).

mrlemon

Am i Talking to actual lawyers here? Or am i talking to people with stupid high egos that like to pick fights at bars?

ITs a simple AGREEMENT in the divorce settlement. That is why I am asking for legal advice.

mrlemon

You're out of luck.

YOU are not a party to the divorce, so you have no grounds to sue.

Your mother could go to court to have the divorce decree enforced, but you can't. (and it's also none of your business how much money your dad makes).
Hmmm insightful. May I ask your background?
If this is true which it kind of sounds like......I feel pointless.

Gail in Georgia

The agreement was between your mother and your father. Not you. At the time of the divorce you were a minor. As previously mentioned, your mother could go to court to see if this part of the agreement can be enforced.

Gail

mrlemon

thanks gail.. So I am out of luck like he says unless my Mom does something about it.
Great.... hopefully it doesnt become like Virginia Tech

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
thanks gail.. So I am out of luck like he says unless my Mom does something about it.
Great.... hopefully it doesnt become like Virginia Tech
You need a psych ward for such a comment. Hopefully it doesn't become like Virginia Tech? Seriously you are making threats on the internet regarding a bloodbath that happened at another university? May someone be able to find you and have you locked up for observation.

nextwife

When I was in high school hearing this made me stop caring so much about getting into college knowing I wouldnt be able to get in the school I could go into unless I have the money or take a loan in which I did not want to do.

Im just bummed what to do now....If I knew my dad was going to not keep his word....I would of done something totally different with my life after high school. At least worked a full time job saving money for college.

Gee, you would only have worked if you had to? Great work ethic.

Plenty of people work their backsides off to get into college and THEN work on covering the costs. I have a sib who got a fellowship to an Ivy League University- no parent or spouse helped pay at all. Take responsibility for yourself.

Last edited:

anteater

You really should not be using your mom's userid.

Or was that really you masquerading as concerned mom 3 years ago when you were arrested for GTA?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/juvenile-law-90/15yr-old-son-charged-gta-307489.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">