• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suppose your Lawyer Stated You Did Commit the Murder during Your Trial & to the Press

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiFi

Suppose your Lawyer Stated You Did Commit the Murder during Your Trial & to the Press

Here's a hypothetical question for which your welcome to ignore if you don't think this forum is also for asking hypothetical questions. Let's say I was a multi millionaire who shot my wife to death in cold blood in my home and there was no way I could be found innocent as my name is not OJ. I plead not guilty but make a deal with my lawyer that I will give him 20 million dollars in untraceable cash which I do for which he agrees and proceeds to do the following: During the course of the trial he openly says in Court and to the Press and the Jury, "My Client has admitted he murdered his wife in cold blood and my conscious will no longer let me defend this admitted lying murderer". This will be national news. Obviously this will resort in a mistrial and get the lawyer disbarred but he could care less because he has the Ten Million. Could I still be tried in any court because there is no way I could receive a fair trial anywhere? Has this ever been done?

Last edited:

Silverplum

Here's a hypothetical question for which your welcome to ignore if you don't think this forum is also for asking hypothetical questions. Let's say I was a multi millionaire who shot my wife to death in cold blood in my home and there was no way I could be found innocent as my name is not OJ. I plead not guilty but make a deal with my lawyer that I will give him 20 million dollars in untraceable cash which I do and during the course of the trial he openly says in Court and to the Press, your Honor and the Jury, My Client has admited he murdered his wife in cold blood and my conscious will no longer let me defend this admited liar. This will be national news. Obviously this will resort in a mistrial and get the lawyer disbarred but he could care less because he has the Ten Million. Could I still be tried in any court because there is no way I could receive a fair trial anywhere? Has this ever been done?
I wish you were a multimillionaire. Then, perhaps, you'd find something better to do.

:rolleyes:

Some Random Guy

Well after your lawyer does this, just have your alien buddies teleport you out of jail from their mothership and take you to mars which doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US.

The only thing worse than hypotheticals is insanely contrived hypotheticals.

ERAUPIKE

Here's a hypothetical question for which your welcome to ignore if you don't think this forum is also for asking hypothetical questions. Let's say I was a multi millionaire who shot my wife to death in cold blood in my home and there was no way I could be found innocent as my name is not OJ. I plead not guilty but make a deal with my lawyer that I will give him 20 million dollars in untraceable cash which I do for which he agrees and proceeds to do the following: During the course of the trial he openly says in Court and to the Press and the Jury, "My Client has admitted he murdered his wife in cold blood and my conscious will no longer let me defend this admitted lying murderer". This will be national news. Obviously this will resort in a mistrial and get the lawyer disbarred but he could care less because he has the Ten Million. Could I still be tried in any court because there is no way I could receive a fair trial anywhere? Has this ever been done?
What happened to the other 10 million you gave your lawyer?

tranquility

What makes you think you couldn't get a "fair" trial anywhere? OJ was big news for a long time. In such a hypo, the lawyer would be getting more press then you. His trial for obstruction of justice or, whatever, will be a lot harder to find a fair jury for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">