• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surname Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello all,

I just have a question regarding children born out of wedlock. If a baby is born out of wedlock, why would the courts award the father the right to change the baby's last name to his?

Thanks all

justalayman

well, how about this question in return;

why would the courts allow the mother to apply her surname to a child?

Both parents are the parents so why would the mother have any more rights to use her last name than the father has to use his?

acmb05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello all,

I just have a question regarding children born out of wedlock. If a baby is born out of wedlock, why would the courts award the father the right to change the baby's last name to his?

Thanks all
Because the one with the Uterus does not make all the rules.

If he is deemed the father why would the courts not do that.

Because the one with the Uterus does not make all the rules.

If he is deemed the father why would the courts not do that.

Hilarious, gotta love your response! Anyway, if the couple is not married why should the father have the right to have his last name on the birth certificate (being married ) have more perks but when the couple is not it dosent make since to have his last name on the birth certificate

well, how about this question in return;

why would the courts allow the mother to apply her surname to a child?

Both parents are the parents so why would the mother have any more rights to use her last name than the father has to use his?
Because AT BIRTH the mother has sole custody of the child until proven in court

jbowman

Because AT BIRTH the mother has sole custody of the child until proven in court
But if the courts have ordered the name changed to the father's surname it would seem quite obvious that the father has established paternity and he also has rights to this child regardless of what happened PRIOR to establishing paternity.

acmb05

Hilarious, gotta love your response! Anyway, if the couple is not married why should the father have the right to have his last name on the birth certificate (being married ) have more perks but when the couple is not it dosent make since(this is spelled sense) to have his last name on the birth certificate
Why not? What does not make sense?

Because he is the father and if he wants his child to have his last name he should be able to. (Personally I hate hyphenated names) but if thats what it takes then thats what it takes.

Why not? What does not make sense?

Because he is the father and if he wants his child to have his last name he should be able to. (Personally I hate hyphenated names) but if thats what it takes then thats what it takes.

ooops...I am allowed to make typos arent I ? It dosent make sense at all but it was just a question and I think hypenated surnames are a waste of time also. I don't see why a child should have their father's last name when neither party are married...it's stupid .....but oh well...... thanks for the response

jbowman

Well, here is the simplest answer to your question.

Why? Because the judge said so.

Didnt your mom ever say that to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">