• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Survivor Producer Americans Won't Get Arrested in US if You Kill Outside US?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiFi

Would appreciate someone explaining this to me particularly in the case of the Survivor TV producer who apparently murdered his wife in Mexico and is free unless Mexico extradites him.

Does this all mean that if you are an American citizen and lets say you kill or are suspected of killing another American citizen but on foreign soil, you've broken no American Law and Law Enforcement in the US will not arrest you and its up to the foreign country to pursue you criminally? Is that correct?

Also if you murder a non-American on foreign soil, you've also not broken any American law as well and won't be arrested in the US unless the foreign country
intervenes to extradite you?

Antigone*

Would appreciate someone explaining this to me particularly in the case of the Survivor TV producer who apparently murdered his wife in Mexico and is free unless Mexico extradites him.

Does this all mean that if you are an American citizen and lets say you kill or are suspected of killing another American citizen but on foreign soil, you've broken no American Law and Law Enforcement in the US will not arrest you and its up to the foreign country to pursue you criminally? Is that correct?

Also if you murder a non-American on foreign soil, you've also not broken any American law as well and won't be arrested in the US unless the foreign country
US Law only:cool:

Proserpina

The crime will be prosecuted according to the law of the land in which it takes place...

HiFi

So if its not Prosecuted in the Foreign Country the US Does Nothing?

So you're saying that if its not prosecuted in the foreign country where the murder occurred, the person has a clean bill of health in the US and will never be prosecuted. That sounds like a great deal if you can pay someone off in the foreign country. I'm surprised it hasn't been done more often.

Specifically, if you're a millionaire and if your wife divorces you, she'll take alot of the money, all you need to do is pay off some warlord/Police Chief in a third world country ahead of time, somehow get your wife into that country and then off her and the US can't do crap. Wow!

HuAi

US may be able to charge you with conspiracy to commit murder if you planned the deed in the US. And as shocking as it may be, foreign prosecutors might object to you killing your spouse in their country:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/arrest-warrant-murder-issued-survivor-producer/story?id=10790232

Also don't take out a half million dollar life insurance policy on your soon to be ex wife the week before your mexican vacation like the producer did, or you may face insurance fraud charges.

Last edited:

HiFi

Wow I Didn't Know He Took Out Insurance Policy!

Thanks for telling me about the Conspiracy charge possibilities. But have you even heard of someone being murdered and no one tried for murder buy conspiracy to commit murder.

Also thanks for telling me about the Insurance policy which I wasn't aware of. What I find totally bizarre is the guy had scratches on him, motive, opportunity and yet he wasn't arrested and held in jail and still has not been charged by Mexico. I'm also curious how he got out of Mexico.

I'm surprised there isn't as much news reported on this story as one would think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">