• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspect discriminatory hiring practice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkerr

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have been working for a non-profit organization in Miami for a year now and am considered an intelligent, resorceful, and hard working employee. I have applied for a management position within the company. A coworker of mine has applied for the same position. The position was newly created and needed someone to fill it for the time being as "acting manager". The coworker was placed in this position. A month after we both applied for the position the manager gave the job to the coworker. I feel I was discriminated against for the following reasons:

1. The requsites of the position, Youth Services Manager, ask for experience in supervision as well as working with youth. I have extensive experience with both (I am currently in a supervisory position). The coworker has little or no experience with either requisites.

2. I have a B. A. from an accredited university while the coworker has a medical degree from Colombia. The job is not medically related.

3. While being interviewed the manager told me that the subjects that he was required to ask me about were merely a formality and that he usually knows who he wasnts to hire beforehand anyway.

4. The manager and the coworker are from Colombia. They have been good friends for some time now, spending a lot of time in each others offices. The entire staff has picked up on this and have scoffed at my attempt to get the position. They say things like "you know how things are around here" and "he already had the job, forget about it".

I know the Colombian connection may not have any legal relevance but those who live in Miami understand how strong the ties are between people of the same country. A friendship and favoritism is implied and expected. But I feel it is at my expense this time.

I have been told that when you are not hired for a position that you have the right to know why. So I asked for a private meeting with the manager and simply asked him "Would you tell me why you thought I was not qualified for the position?" He instantly became angry and told me that my question was inappropriate. He then demanded that I leave his office and we haven't spoken since.

Do I have the right to know why I was passed over for the position?
Do I have any legal ground to stand on as far as discrimination is concerned?

Please help me. -mkerr

JETX

"Do I have the right to know why I was passed over for the position?"
*** No. The employer (or manager) has no obligation to explain his decision.

"Do I have any legal ground to stand on as far as discrimination is concerned?"
*** Based solely on your post, no. You have not shown that there is a pattern of discimination based on sex, age, disability, race, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">