• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended from work for accidental shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I see no indication from OP that this was a self-scan checkout. In fact, a cashier is mentioned in the original post.
OK, then whoever said: I think it was a self scan shouldn't have said that to me. (commentator).:)

so, back to: I can accept the OP's story but obviously the management doesn't. I would suggest there is something that gives them reason to doubt the claim.

and back to; was the cashier complicit, or possibly the actual thief in this situation?

phiral22

This happened at a dunkin donuts checkout inside the supermarket and i was dealing with a cashier, there is nothing to sign, u just swipe ur card and press ok and the receipt comes out, i go to the same place often to checkout and i have never had problems till now. I should have been paying alot more attention to the small screen but since i knew that i had enough to cover the small cost i didnt bother to look at the cost or the receipt.

justalayman

ok. obviously the management does not agree it was unintentional .

so, what you are saying is the cashier is actually the person that should be charged with the offense, right?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, with that additional info I can see how you could have made the mistake.

However, the only thing it changes in my original answer is where I tell you to come up with a better story. The legalities of the suspension/termination do not change.

commentator

Yes, if you are out more than a week, file for unemployment benefits....well no, ask your union rep about this too. Because if they reinstated you with pay or something, that would take care of the incentive to file for unemployment. If you had received any benefits, you'd have to pay them back. Wait until the meeting on Monday. If it appears they will NOT fire you for this, give thim just a little more time. Ask, if it is going to take a couple of weeks, ask your union rep if you should file for unemployment benefits....if he "doesn't know" then go on and file. You should nothave to go more than a week without being paid something if you are out of work through no fault of your own, and suspended counts as being that, sort of.

phiral22

the cashier is not only, i admit i should have been paying attention to the cost and checked my receipt. i have been a cashier before and we make sure every item in front of you is scanned unless we are presented with proof of purchase, her not saying anything at all and me not paying attention created this problem.

Thanks for all the feedback its been very helpful.

phiral22

My union representative says that even though it was unintentional the company wouldnt take me back, so there were steps i could do but since they dont take back employees who have been accused of stealing the result would be the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">